Bolbitus - afzelii - wendtii - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
I will be setting up a new 55g tank later this week, and was interested in advice on the plants I've ordered for it. I'd like to know what the best planting method is, and if any additional root ferts are needed.

The plants are:

bolbitus heudelotii
anubias afzelii
cryptocoryne wendtii (red)

I was going to attach the bolbitus to the driftwood, fyi.

Substrate is eco-complete and flourite. Tank will be for Altum angelfish and PH is going to be in the 6.5 range.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 04:21 PM

Bolbitis likes to be near the oultlet of a filter, so you may consider that when positioning it in the tank.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 10:25 PM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Your plan to attach the Bolbitus to wood is a good one. Putty is right about placement of the plant. Put it in the line of your filter outflow. The plant loves to have water flowing across it. It will become a monster in no time! Plant the Crypt in your substrate. Think about where you want it to reside. Crypts are finicky, once they settle into a spot they don't like to be moved. I have never kept Anubis, but I imagine attaching it to a piece of wood or stone should do you right.

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 10:44 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
I have my Anubias in the substrate "shallowly" and all are beginning to take a good hold and sprout new leaves.
As for the crypts, feed them well in the root base and they will do great......

I dont want to talk about bolbitus right now.... :evil:
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 10:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I think all my anubias are in the gravel! You can attach them to wood though, just gotta tie or rubberband them on.

George

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 12:40 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

Quote:
I dont want to talk about bolbitus right now....
Having a tough time with the Bolbitus, Buck? Are you sure you don't want to talk about it? It might make you feel better!

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 01:45 AM

Is bolbitus appropriate for a small tank (say, 20g), or will it get too large? I'm curious because I've heard it does well emersed. Is it easy to keep on the small side?

^iMp^
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 02:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
It took a long while to get comfortable in my tanks. Once it did, I have to say, Mike described it well. Monster. I need to move mine, it's getting too big for the 10. Now taking up almost half the tank.

James
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 02:23 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

It is tough to keep small. The rhizome keeps growing, and it keeps throwing off fronds. The fronds can get pretty large. 8" to 10" long at times. I will add a photo to give some reference. You can keep trimming the plant to keep it from getting to tall, but it is difficult to stop the plant from getting long and wide.

Don't be discouraged. Bolbitus is a great plant. It has a wonderful texture and a fantastic color. It is worth all of the effort in my opinion.

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode