How do you plant in substrate? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
How do you plant in substrate?

How do you put plants into substrate? I've tried putting plants in a 1/4 filled tank by stinking my finger in the substrate to make room for the roots but when I pull my finger out the hole fills back up. Plus the plants are not in tightly so when I fill the tank some were coming out and floating. Whats the best play to go about this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 08:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
What substrate are you using?

I used to have those colored gravel from LFS, and it was a pain trying to plant on it. Basically I poke a hole with a finger, plant the plant, use one hand to hold the plant in place, use the other to replace the gravel displaced by the finger. I also do this when the tank is 1/2 to 3/4 full, and I put water in it slowly.

Now I have AS Amazonia 2, much easier to plant and grow using it. It also helps that I have this long tweezer like tool to plant or uproot.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 08:44 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
When you push your finger into the substrate, take the plants (roots, stem) along with it. Then pull the finger out, while keeping the plant at the same height. As the substrate fills in, the plant gets stuck in it.

What kind of substrate are you using?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Im using Soilmaster Select.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 09:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (92/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Baliban
Tweezers!! There is no better way.....get them ASAP.

jB
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 09:11 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (23/100%)
I have the same issue. I'm in the process of setting up a new tank with Amazonia II. I'm planning on filling up the tank as far as the soil line and then using tweezers to plant. Then very slowly top off the tank.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 09:56 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Soilmaster is famous for being difficult to plant in, because it is a relatively light substrate. Tweezers will be superior to fingers, and lots of patience will get them rooted eventually.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 10:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
Yes, tweezers! Long ones! I love mine. Before I got them, I had the worst time getting things planted. Now it's a breeze with most plants. Of course a few times the plants still come out when I pull the tweezers out of the substrate, but I'm getting used to using them and it's not happening as often anymore. I have SMS as well, but still manage to get things to finally stay stuck in it.

~ Linda ~

How many watts do I need to make my swimming pool a high light tank?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode