who had spills b4 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (15/100%)
who had spills b4

any of u gents and ladies had a major tank spills?

I had a minor one when i was priming my eheim and some water just gushed out of my eheim...it wasnt that bad tho, altho my stand swelled up a bit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 05:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (120/100%)
I had one on my 120gal tank. I had a powerhead with the airtubing that came on at night to add O2 in my tank (needed it due to high summer temps lowering O2). The airtubing started acting as a siphon. I had just done a waterchange and refilled the tank at night. The next day I get home from work and noticed that the waterlevel was about 4-5 inches lower. The water was slowly dripping out of the airtubing behind my tank. The whole inside of the stand was soaked and the carpet about 3ft infront of my stand was soaked. The really scarey part about it is I am on the 2nd story of an apartment building...
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 06:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
i was changing out my diy co2 containers one night, when i unhooked it all was good no water nothing. mixed up my soup and let it proof on the counter top. i fell asleep on the couch waching modern marvels or something like that as i was letting the co2 get rolling. i woke up about 2 hours later to a slight trickling noise from tha bottom of my stand! my tank is only a 29g, and it was about 2-3 inches low. so i sprang up, grabbed some bath towels and started dancing on the spill, stuffed some under the stand and the wife was none the wiser!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 07:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (44/100%)
HA! I got you all beat! I have a tenant who lives in the basement apartment of my house. He moved in in April of 2006, and by January of 2007 it had rained from the ceiling in his apartment on 4 separate occasions. 3 were the fault of my dog walker who was watching the dogs and the tanks while I was on week long vacations- she happens to be my tenant's best friend, so I am off the hook on those.

First time I thought it would be okay if she just fed the fish while I was away. She told me the filter "was leaking" on my 90 gallon, the whole room (antique Persian run included) was soaked. She unplugged it and it stopped. (huh?) When I got home and plugged the filter back in (much to the relief of the fish) the problem was immediately clear. The water level got so low the spray bars from the filters were splashing water right out of the tank. It looked like someone had put a lawn sprinkler in my living room.

Next time I thought I better tell her how to refill the tanks when the water gets low. Of course this time the sponge in the overflow box on the 125 got clogged. She would hear the pump sucking air, assumed the water was low, so she kept pouring water into the sump. The pump kept pushing it up into the tank. It couldn't flow back into the sump. So guess where the water went. You got it- right out of the top of the tank. She just kept refilling and refilling the sump- what a disaster. Best part about this story was that she thought the leak was in the pipes in the floor- I came home to a $300 bill for an emergency plumber and a giant hole in the basement ceiling where he went looking for the leaking pipe! I don't even want to talk about the bill for fixing the ceiling.

Another time was a circuit breaker that was tripped and the return line to the sump on the 125 siphoned out about 40 gallons into the sump- which of course overflowed.

So then I made a hole in the return just above the water level to break the siphon in case it happened again. That hole subsequently grew a little tuft of BBA which clogged the hole just enough so it was like putting your thumb over the end of a hose- and the water was spraying straight up and back out of the tank.

I have a million stories like these. Some are "equipment failure". There are plenty of other spills that are my fault. Its just part of having MTS. I never do one water change at a time, I'm always draining one tank while filling another while pruning a third- then the phone rings or a friend stops by and the next thing you know...

I have nightmares about the sounds of "indoor rain" - I wake up in the middle of the night and can swear that I hear it.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 08:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbosaurus View Post
HA! I got you all beat! I have a tenant who lives in the basement apartment of my house. He moved in in April of 2006, and by January of 2007 it had rained from the ceiling in his apartment on 4 separate occasions. 3 were the fault of my dog walker who was watching the dogs and the tanks while I was on week long vacations- she happens to be my tenant's best friend, so I am off the hook on those.

First time I thought it would be okay if she just fed the fish while I was away. She told me the filter "was leaking" on my 90 gallon, the whole room (antique Persian run included) was soaked. She unplugged it and it stopped. (huh?) When I got home and plugged the filter back in (much to the relief of the fish) the problem was immediately clear. The water level got so low the spray bars from the filters were splashing water right out of the tank. It looked like someone had put a lawn sprinkler in my living room.

Next time I thought I better tell her how to refill the tanks when the water gets low. Of course this time the sponge in the overflow box on the 125 got clogged. She would hear the pump sucking air, assumed the water was low, so she kept pouring water into the sump. The pump kept pushing it up into the tank. It couldn't flow back into the sump. So guess where the water went. You got it- right out of the top of the tank. She just kept refilling and refilling the sump- what a disaster. Best part about this story was that she thought the leak was in the pipes in the floor- I came home to a $300 bill for an emergency plumber and a giant hole in the basement ceiling where he went looking for the leaking pipe! I don't even want to talk about the bill for fixing the ceiling.

Another time was a circuit breaker that was tripped and the return line to the sump on the 125 siphoned out about 40 gallons into the sump- which of course overflowed.

So then I made a hole in the return just above the water level to break the siphon in case it happened again. That hole subsequently grew a little tuft of BBA which clogged the hole just enough so it was like putting your thumb over the end of a hose- and the water was spraying straight up and back out of the tank.

I have a million stories like these. Some are "equipment failure". There are plenty of other spills that are my fault. Its just part of having MTS. I never do one water change at a time, I'm always draining one tank while filling another while pruning a third- then the phone rings or a friend stops by and the next thing you know...

I have nightmares about the sounds of "indoor rain" - I wake up in the middle of the night and can swear that I hear it.

snap.

i guess you own your home and dont rent it?

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 08:13 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
I had one in my condo. I was adding water with a 5 gallon pail from my tub. When the tank was half full i stopped filling the tank while i was doing some planting but i left the water running in the tub because i had it at the right temp and im renting so its free !

Anyways 5 mins later i am in the kitchen and i take a step and i am in an inch of water. WHAT A MESS ! Threw every piece of clothing and towels on the floor and it still took 3 hours to clean up. Went into the hallway and everything !

Turns out the stream of water is right over the drain and had forced the plug down. NICE DESIGN !!

That was a bad day...but the landlords dont know so no biggy !
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 08:14 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
the spray bar on the side of my 46gal bow front was knocked out of place. most likely by the chalceus and tinfoil barb in one of their maniac chase sessions. the tube from the powerhead to the bar was pulled loose and pointed directly out the top corner. luckily the powerhead was mounted high and broke siphon after dumping about 8 gallons out the front corner.

most major disasters are related to sump configurations. i pondered setting up a sump for my 75gal, but because of all the horror stories related to them i opted for a closed system.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 09:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

my only major "spill" came from me refilling my 30gl - which I do by using the syphon tube and letting it slowly refill into my tank. Well I was a bit lazy about putting the majority of the hose in the tank 'cause I didn't want to untangle it from all the plants, and my cat came along, and batted the end of the hose out. Now, usually I can just let it go and walk away from my bucket and let it refill... I was playing a video game when I heard the oddest noise coming from my room, only to find about 2.5 gallons of water on the floor!

It took forever for that to dry up, even with towels and stuff.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 12:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I don't know if this would be considered a spill or not, but the first tank I had when I was 13 was a simple 10 gallon tank, filled with some platys and swordtails. I was babysitting a neighbor kid at my house, and he decided that it was a good idea to go running around the house with a bat. I tried to keep him still but he ran up and hid in my room with the bat over his shoulder. When I caught him, he was a bit startled, spun around quickly and CRACK! Right through the tank.

I got paid double for that night.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 02:42 AM
Hop
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Spills? Spills happen all the time Now if you want to hear about floods you let me know

Currently tankless for the first time in 24 years... Getting the itch again
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 03:04 AM

PTrader: (6/100%)
Didn't happen to me, but a guy I know figured that he would build his own stand for his 30 gallon. It looked fine and all seemed ok. He filled the tank and no issues or leaks. It was that way for about a month or so. He left for a weekend and came back to water damage throughout. The tank was in his 2nd floor master bedroom. The floors throughout the house were wood floors. One of the tanks sides had separated and everything came out. He paid many thousands to pull up the entire 2nd floor wood floors and replace them, as well as some drywall in his master bedroom and dining room, and a small portion of the wood floors in his dining room.

He hasn't built his own stand since! To think about it, most of his setups are in his basement as well now... hehe
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 03:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Just the other day, I was installing a reactor. Apparently, you REALLY need hose clamps to tighten the sucker down. The Fluval 404 drained close to 15-20 gallons onto my carpet before I came back in the room and ran to turn it off.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 03:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to frozenbarb
My dumbest leak ever.. i left some towel hanging from the hangback filter and overnight the water drained from the tank to the tissue onto the windowsill there was only 2 inches left out of 5 gallon but the water got cleaned fast

One month in.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 06:19 PM

"I have nightmares about the sounds of "indoor rain" - I wake up in the middle of the night and can swear that I hear it."

Just imagine it's the sound of a tropical rain forest during the rainy season.... lol!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode