Aquascaping: Sand foregrounds (Help!) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Aquascaping: Sand foregrounds (Help!)

I have just taken the first steps into the patience-wearing, frustrating world of aquascaping...but I have not given up. For the last 4 hours, I have been trying to scape a 10 gallon tank. Substrate is gravel and ecocomplete, and I tried to create a white sand foreground. I was looking for acrylic overhead projector sheets to use as a fence to separate substrate and sand, and with my luck, they didn't have any in stock. So I bought a plastic folder for 30 cents and cut 2 strips out of it. It's not working so well. For one thing, it doesn't stay down too well. I also don't really know how this is supposed to work. Do I leave the strips in there? How do people hide these separators? I can still see some of the plastic strips sticking out. And when I filled it up, even though I used a sheet of plastic over the whole thing so that it wouldn't mess up the scape, some of the sand floated, and when it settled, it settled on the substrate. Can someone help me out? I'm really tired after all that, but I'm not giving up

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 11:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (208/100%)
It sounds like you are doing the scaping with water in the tank. Take the water out, then the sand won't float around. That is half your frustration right there.

You need more rigid plastic and suction cups to keep it in place.

This isn't directly answering your question about barriers, but might I suggest not maintaining a stark barrier? In my tank, I put ecocomplete along the back, then put sand over the eco and all across the front. Then, as I planned due to planting and Bolivian rams (microgeophagus = 'little earth eater') the eco has mixed up with the sand just a little for a 'salt and pepper' look that I really like. It looks like this.

FYI: sand is a substrate too
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks for the input!

I put the water on after I was done scaping using a plate and some plastic sheeting, I think the floating sand is just something unavoidable (seems like it had air bubbles in it, so when the water soaked into a dry patch, it would bubble up and make a little cloud of sand at the surface of the tank. It's still happening, but much less now.)

I don't mind a little bit of mixing, I was just going for that "beach" effect that I've seen in so many tanks. It's looking a little better now, I was just wondering how those tanks didn't have little hints of plastic sticking out of the sand

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 12:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (208/100%)
Take a look at how Urinda did his:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ph...-90cm-ada.html
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Hmm, it looks like there is not a good way to accomplish the look I want. Everyone has plants or rocks on the border to keep the sand out. I may just plant the border afterall, but we'll see. Thanks for the help! It's looking better already.

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 03:11 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
what sort of rigid plastic would you recommend?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I think what I used was fine, I just had 2 pieces because it wasn't long enough. My main question was how to conceal this plastic strip, because it inevitably will be a little above the substrate level. In all the setups with gravel separated from sand I have seen, there are plants that cover this strip of plastic.

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode