am i doing things right? im new! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
am i doing things right? im new!

ill start things off with a few pictures.

the plants are collected from a local lake. plants were found in 1-2 ft deep water on south side of lake. lake is located in MN, USA. identifications would be helpful along with care recommendations.

substrate is mostly black aquarium gravel mixed with a pond potting gravel. i think it is some kind of zeolite, or something like that.

lighting is mostly sunlight from the window, however i also have a 23watt 6500k spiral lamp directly over the tank for the later hours.

filtration is done with my H.O.T. magnum micron filter. it works really well at removing ALL particles in the water including green water algae. i let the green water take over, to the point i couldn't see 3 inches into the tank. within 20 minutes of using the filter, the water was crystal clear. other than using the magnum one or two times per week, there is no filtration. i do have a air bubbler providing some water movement at all times.

heat is currently at 85 degrees, i really don't like it that warm and I'm trying to work with my free garage sale "all glass aquariums 100 watt" heater.. I'm working to reduce the heat to 78 degrees.

i have fertilizer which i had used for growing green water to feed my brine shrimp. i also have orchid fertilizer.. but right now I'm dosing nothing. i may buy plant ferts in the future.

CO2, currently i don't run CO2, but i am going to set up a DIY CO2 reactor soon.

i do have a lot of aquarium experience, i have kept simple freshwater tanks for 10+ years, and a reef aquarium for over a year now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 01:58 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
with this setup it might help if you put an inch of potting/top soil under the gravel. It also depends how much sun you're giving it too.. Don't put in fertilizers unless you want green water.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 02:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
Where in MN you get those from. In the cities or elsewhere

Filstar Pimp #27

"Insert your own tag line here"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunerd View Post
Where in MN you get those from. In the cities or elsewhere
meeker county, lake fransis. kunerd, would you happen to have any java moss or freshwater shrimp? maybe we could work something out.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 06:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
Gots lots of moss. Im sure some of its java. Its a big moss soup in the 10 gallon mixed with some xmas, java, and others im sure. I can send ya some if you want.

Filstar Pimp #27

"Insert your own tag line here"
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

do you pass through St. Cloud much?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

an update. this grass type plant has been growing like well for me. so far it has produced 3 more roots and it seems to have new leaf growth as well. which is GOOD!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode