Remove Middle Tank Support Bar? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
Remove Middle Tank Support Bar?

My tank is 48" long, and in the center of the black trim on top there is a black beam. This seems to be mainly used as a rest for the glass tops or a screen if using these. Since I am not using these, nor do I plan to be, I really would like to remove this.

Has anyone tried this? Did you have any side effects at all?

To me, it doesn't seem to be functioning really, it's quite loose and I would love nothing more right now than to take my hacksaw to it.

The tank is empty right now....so now is the time to do this.

Eheim Pimp # 240
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 02:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Before you do that do one thing.

Take a 5 gallon bucket. Fill it full of water. Dump it on the floor. Now imagine what the contents of your tank will look like on the floor.

The company that built your tank put that brace in there for a reason. Most 4' long tanks have glass that is pretty thin. Without the brace it will bow. That will put stress on the seams.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 02:36 AM
Algae Grower

I believe the brace is there as a safeguard, I don't know if I'd risk removing it, unless you wish to update your flooring soon....

ETA: Rex beat me to it!

Melissa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 02:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I was a mechanical engineer for 2 years before I switched to CSE. The brace is there to keep the tank together (albeit a brace pulling the glass sides together against the pressure is not the best way to do it, it is the best looking way to do it).

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 02:42 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via AIM to TheOtherGeoff Send a message via MSN to TheOtherGeoff
go ahead..take it out and see what happens

the top of the aquarium will stretch out about an inch or two and creates a huge stress to the glass. this often results ina blow out

The Fish Tank, Tranquility in Motion

all gone now

Planted discus has come to an end.......but only for
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 02:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

hehehe....thanks for the fast replies.

The hacksaw is back in the drawer.

OK, so I get that its most likely bad, unless I want to turn my room into a rice pattie....which I don't

Eheim Pimp # 240
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 03:41 AM

PTrader: (5/100%)
I'd not recommend it personally, but I do have a 4' long tank with no brace, and its 31" tall to boot. Probably its saving grace is that its 1/2" glass. I dont have it in actual operation yet, and I'll probably build a brace for it when its actually in my house but the person who had it before me had it for years with no brace.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 03:45 AM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
I took the top brace off my 30 gal breeder,
but that's a really small tank, so I doubt
there is any danger with it at all.

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 04:10 AM
►◊ ◊◄

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via MSN to conduct Send a message via Yahoo to conduct
I use to have a 150gal 6' tank the glass was 3/4" thick with no center brace but you sure could see the glass bow out when it was full.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 04:12 AM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by conduct View Post
but you sure could see the glass bow out when it was full.
gosh, that's scary. I'm surprised it was designed without a brace despite the glass thickness.

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 04:19 AM
►◊ ◊◄

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via MSN to conduct Send a message via Yahoo to conduct
Quote:
Originally Posted by spypet View Post
gosh, that's scary. I'm surprised it was designed without a brace despite the glass thickness.
Ya it was about 15 years old and built solid.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 04:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
600 lbs of water is a lot of pressure on the glass. It would probably be better if there were braces pushing on the glass inwards, but that would make for an ugly tank, hend a brace pulling the sides together.

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 12:37 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
you could replace the brace with a clear piece of plexiglass. i've seen it done online several times. if your using one long bank of lights, it keeps the brace from casting a shadow and giving you a dark area in the middle.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 01:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via AIM to TheOtherGeoff Send a message via MSN to TheOtherGeoff
you dont want to use plexiglass. its too suspetible to water making it warp. true acrylic or a piece of real glass would be just as easy

The Fish Tank, Tranquility in Motion

all gone now

Planted discus has come to an end.......but only for
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 01:23 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (21/100%)
I have a 4' without a center brace. It's 3/4" glass, but still bows when full. I'm working on a canopy for it that will provide the support it needs.

I have another 4' that does have a center brace. The brace was 1/4" glass and broke one evening. The tank bowed out about an inch and I didn't have any way of repairing it at the time. I used a bright green ratchet strap. It seems to be working great... until I fix the problem.

Moral of the story, you need the center brace unless you have extra thick glass, which everyone has already told you. Also, if you do replace the ugly black bar with a piece of glass, make sure you get a reasonable thickness, the thin stuff just won't cut it.

*** 5.5g RCS *** 7.25g Shrimp Pond ***
*** Assorted Jars, Tanks & Buckets

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode