CO2 question (Can it be had for cheeper???) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Roc

PTrader: (43/100%)
CO2 question (Can it be had for cheeper???)

I am thinking about going to a presuzied CO2 kit for both of my tanks (20Gal and 55 Gal).

While looking for the equipment I have found it to be very expensive, but only when related to Aquariums. For instance I have found lots of links such as this kithttp://cgi.ebay.com/Standard-Kegerat...QQcmdZViewItem (price will depend on when you look) that are 1/2 the price for all the equipment.

Is there any reason NOT to buy the kit ment for Keg's but used for fish tanks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 11:38 PM
planted tank sickness

PTrader: (14/100%)
that thing is MORE expensive than a unit you can get off almost any vendor online.

look around sfbaaps for better prices on co2 tanks and regulators etc on our reference page.....

that kit is not complete for what you need....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 12:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (120/100%)
The only reason to buy it for an aquarium is it will have the needle valve and and a senenoid already on it. You can buy one ment for brewing but then you will need at least a needle valve and maybe other equipment. I have always bought my aquarium regulators (or had Rex Grigg make me one) and then bought the CO2 cannister locally at a brewing or welding shop.

If your two tanks are next to each other (or close enough to run a line) you can always get a manifold (Rex sells them or you can get them online) and split the CO2 into the two different tanks which will save you a lot of money.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 12:12 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (63/100%)
Send a message via MSN to PRESTON4479
Here is everything you need minus the paint ball bottle. This is the same kit I have and it works great. Although I would recommend a rhinox diffuser instead of the reactor they provide. Also this one includes the solenoid to automate your system.

check it out

http://cgi.ebay.com/Red-Sea-CO2-Pro-...QQcmdZViewItem

Brian

Equipment: 55g, 3x 9watt tt uv, 2-xp3's, pressurized co2, inline co2 reactor, 216 watt catalina t5 fixture, milwaukee ph controller, 300 watt hydor inline heater, aqua soil
Filstar Pimp #100
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 12:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
That kit is more expensive than you think.

About $170 shipped.

And of that you get the regulator and the cylinder. That's an inexpensive regulator, about $40 and the cylinder is about $60.

And you would still need a needle valve, check valve, fittings and adapters, solenoid......the list goes on.

Since you want to feed two tanks you are best off getting a regulator built to do that.

If you want a manual system that would run you about $130 for the regulator (from my equipment). Controlled system would be a bit more.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 01:26 AM

PTrader: (6/100%)
I would personally suggest you look into Rex's suggestion above and craigslist a need for the CO2 tank. It worked great for me. You may not get a "pretty, shiny" tank, but funtion is most important here. As for me, I got a pretty, shiny, funtional 20Ib full of CO2 off craigslist for $40! It was from a coffee shop that was shutting it's doors.

Good luck... With that route you can probably be setup for around $150 total for the manual setup, with everything needed!

Do realise that it may take a little bit to find someone to respond to your WTB on craigslist, but your area should have a lot of people on there.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Roc

aquanut415 - I understand that I posted the link becuase it had a pic but I saw them selling this stuff on creigslist for like 45.00

oblongshrimp - this pretty much answers my question, I just wanted to know if it could be done sounds like a sorta which is about what I thought

PRESTON4479 - A lot of ppl told me not to buy this kit, but I don't remember why now?? You say it works well for you huh?

Rex Grigg - So 130.00 for the regulator, then how much for the full manual set-up ( I assume manual means it is not automaticly controled, not that I have to do more, or am I wrong?)

JFouts - So I guess you are answering the above question, your saying I buy the regulator from rex and a tank and I am good to go or do I need more.

Other questions - How do presurized systems work differently then the DIY system I am running now, meaning I fill up my canisters once a week and then thats it, what else do I need to do with the "fancy set-up"?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 01:52 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have had no problems with this kit. The only change I made was the reactor they provide because it didn't seem like it could keep the co2 levels where I wanted them. But that was solved when I got the rhinox 2000 diffuser. This kit has worked great for me. Also I get my 20oz paint ball bottle refilled every 2-3 months and keep a spare on hand so I can just swap them out. I also like it because it is small and easy to hide.

Brian

Equipment: 55g, 3x 9watt tt uv, 2-xp3's, pressurized co2, inline co2 reactor, 216 watt catalina t5 fixture, milwaukee ph controller, 300 watt hydor inline heater, aqua soil
Filstar Pimp #100
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 02:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

See www.bestaquariumregulator.com for my CO2 regulators.

Comparing pressurized to DIY is like comparing a skateboard to a Ford F150 truck.

There is no comparison. With the right system you will be able to set the bubble rate and walk away. Check the system once a month to see if the cylinder needs to be filled. That's pretty much it.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 02:43 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Grigg View Post

Comparing pressurized to DIY is like comparing a skateboard to a Ford F150 truck.

There is no comparison. With the right system you will be able to set the bubble rate and walk away. Check the system once a month to see if the cylinder needs to be filled. That's pretty much it.
I agree with Rex. There really is no comparison. If you have the money go pressurized.

Brian

Filstar Pimp #100
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Roc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Grigg View Post

Which one would I need to have 1 CO2 tank and run 2 tanks off of it.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 08:21 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Not to hi-jack the thread but Rex I was just wondering if you use a pH controller or not? Or if you jsut set the bubble rate or whatever each month?? Just out of curiosity?
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 11:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I would recommend a ph controller as a precaution (to protect your fish) and it also gives you a good idea how much co2 your putting in.

Brian

Filstar Pimp #100
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 12:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I don't use a controller. I have not messed with the bubble rate on any of my regulators in months, or at least since I installed new hardware.

A good regulator/needle valve combo is pretty much a set it and forget it item.

iroc. Pick which regulator you want. Manual or controlled. Now decide with needle valve you want. Add a Ultra Mini Manifold (handles up to three aquariums). After that email or PM me.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 12:22 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
and Rex is awesome

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode