here's a question for you guys... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
here's a question for you guys...

In your opinion, without specifics of wattage/PAR/color temps etc, do you think it would be more beneficial to run lower intensity lights for a longer period of time, or more intense lights for a shorter period of time. Opinions and arguments gladly accepted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 04:00 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Without specifics, without quantification, I think that would be exactly the same. More light for shorter period = less light for longer period. Without specifics, there isn't a good answer here. Even if you would throw in some wattages, it would be hard to say, since it depends on so many other things.

If you take out the photoperiod and focus on wattage, then my opinion would be to get less bulbs with higher wattage. For example, I think one T5 HO 54W bulb will get the tank better lit than two T5NO 28W. Higher intensity, at the cost of less even distribution. The NO bulbs are actually more efficient if you look at the lumens/watt, still, I think 2xNO<1xHO.

If you are about to decide between two options, I'd go with the higher intensity...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Thanks Wasser. As complete of an answer as I could hope to get with the lacking information I provided.

aside: need anything from SD? I'm heading up there in about 1.5hrs

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 07:42 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Hehe, thanks for the offer, but can't think of anything right now...

Have a pleasant trip...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode