Black roots/New roots - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
I purchased many new plants for my recently set up aquarium, I wasn't knowledgeable enough to know that I shouldnt buy plants with black roots at the time so I have a java fern and an amazon sword in there both with black roots, I also purchased many cuttings of other plants melon sword and some other grassy type plants and they have all begun growing very nice thick white roots from their stems but the fern and sword havent grown and the roots are still nasty. They all have been in there for about a week. I was considering picking off all their roots and leting them grow new ones because even if they grow new ones over the old ones I dont want all that dead materials under my substrate. Any suggestions?

It's a 50 gallon tank with 96watt watt kit from ahsupply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 09:53 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Roots of java ferns are naturally black, and you should not plant them into the substrate. Attach them to driftwood, rocks, or even a plastic sucker that you stick onto the back glass.

The sword plant is a different story, there you should remove the black roots. It should have grown white roots in a week... either it starts soon, or it will die. That happens too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 09:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Java Fern does not grow roots, black/brown is the normal color for what you are calling roots. I would leave the sword alone and see what happens, don't worry too much about dead roots in the substrate, it will just become plant food.

George

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
I see.. will the fern survive in the substrate for awhlie at least? I am saving for a nice peice of driftwood so I have nothing to attach it to for now, should I just let it sit above the substrate for now?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 10:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

you can leave it sitting above the substrate for now, it shouldn't be a problem

George

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 10:45 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
I would just let it sit above the substrate, attached with a rubber sucker to keep it from floating through the tank and hugging the filter inlet.

George... what is it they grow? Some swimming ferns are root-less, and what looks like a root is actually a converted leaf. But Java ferns? Apical meristem tissue??

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 10:53 AM
Wannabe Guru

I don't know what exactly it is that they grow, but it seems to be solely for attachment purposes as opposed to any use for "root" feeding. At least that is what I've always thought, I could be wrong though.

George

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode