Help! Drift wood discolor water. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 07:22 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help! Drift wood discolor water.

Help, my driftwood is giving me lot of headache.
My tank water become brown only several hours after the water is changed.
How do I get rid of the discoloration safely in a planted tank?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 09:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to ikuzo
did you boil the driftwood first? or at least soak them in a bucket of water for a few days? if not then you need to remove them from your tank first, or you will need to do 3-4 water chagne every week.

my experience is the tanin from the wood won't do harm to your fish or plants, in fact mine seem to like it, but it's a sore sight for me. now everytime i want to add driftwood, i would boil them for 1 hour to help remove unwanted creatures and most of the tanin, soak them for a few days or even a week, then put it in the real tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 01:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
I had to soak a piece that I purchased for 6 wks for it to quit leeching the tannins. You can either boil it or run it through the dishwasher a couple times to help the process go faster.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 01:59 PM

Please don't run it through the dishwater... there is soap residue in there and that will most definatly harm your fish. It can take a couple of days or even up to a year to leech all the tanins out of wood. A number of species do prefer the water that tea colour (blackwater fishes come to mind), however if you want to get rid of the discolouration grab a big pot and boil it for quite a while. Also to get rid of the colour use activated carbon in your filtration system as this will help to get rid of the discoluration as well
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 04:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Run some carbon or purigen in you filter thatll do the trick.

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #250 2217,2026,2236
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 07:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Could you post a pic of the tank? I'd like to see what the water looks like when tannins from the driftwood leech out. I actually rather like the color of tannin'd water, I think it looks good with fish like neons or cardinals. As long as it's safe, I'd probably keep it.

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 08:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnaveTO View Post
...however if you want to get rid of the discolouration grab a big pot and boil it for quite a while. Also to get rid of the colour use activated carbon in your filtration system as this will help to get rid of the discoluration as well
i soaked my driftwood for over a week. boiled it for an hour. then soaked it for another week and it STILL leeches tanins. i said screw it and put it in anyways! fish don't seem to mind, just the co-workers...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 03:54 PM

I soaked mine for 6 weeks replacing the water with hot water every day to get the tannins out.
It can take a long time. Depending on the type of wood and size too.

kara
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 04:17 PM

I have heard that with some woods it can take over a year to leech all the tanins out
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 12:35 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (63/100%)
Send a message via MSN to PRESTON4479
Quote:
Originally Posted by mott View Post
Run some carbon or purigen in you filter thatll do the trick.
I agree with Mott. Carbon will probably do the trick.

Brian

Equipment: 55g, 3x 9watt tt uv, 2-xp3's, pressurized co2, inline co2 reactor, 216 watt catalina t5 fixture, milwaukee ph controller, 300 watt hydor inline heater, aqua soil
Filstar Pimp #100
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 01:21 AM

PTrader: (6/100%)
Purigen will definately work well! I have to large bogwoods that have leached tanins in my tank for years. It's always had a brownish tinge that I kinda got used to and actually liked the effect with the high lighting. Last week I installed my XP3 and 250ML of Purigen and it is GONE! Pulled the purigen bag out yesterday to get familiar with the XP3 maint and the bag is quite brown already.

It may take some time as the tanins will continue to leach out. It also really depends on what type of wood you have. I used some really dark bogwoods from Africa that look great, but they did leach out for a really long time.

Good luck! If nothing else, you may learn to like the look... I just told people it was my fish's favorite tea

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode