Shipping plants during the cold weather - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hi all, I'm thinking of ordering plants and I was wondering if shipping plants would be a problem in this cold weather? In your experience, would my plants be frozen when they arrive or "preserved" like some online vendors say?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 05:16 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

If the plants actually freeze it can and usually will damage the tissues of the stem and leaf. Most companies I have seen will put a heat pack in the package when shipping during cold weather. Just being cold for a short period of time won't kill most plants but an actual freeze will.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member # 64
90 Gallon Low light/Easy Maintenance
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 05:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
you would probably have to do overnight shipping, which in turn could cost more than the actual plants.

I was thumbing through some the other day and wanted to order, but the shipping cost more than the plants..lol crazy eh..so I'll wait till warmer weather I guess.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

how do the online vendors usually package the plants ??? i mean, do they wrap it around with newspaper or use styrofoam?

how good of a job does a heat pack do??

Eheim Pimp Club Member #32
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 08:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I;ve gotten frozen plants before, and they survived. As long as you get them before they can totally freeze they should be ok, if the tips are frozen, they'll probably make it, even on the more delicate species.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 01:43 AM
Wannabe Guru

I sent out an A. coffeefolia in a styrofoam box about 2 weeks ago. Went about 500 miles and the plant froze solid. Interestingly, I sent out another Anubias prior to that without a styrofoam box, it went 3000 miles and it did just fine. Depends on whether it gets received at the destination or sits outside in the cold.

James
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 07:18 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Always use express mail in the colder months. The postal service will leave priority mail on the porch without even thinking about it. They have to hold express mail unless specifically told not to. It's not the transport that will get the plants, it's how it's handled on at the destination by the delivery company. Besides it's only a couple dollars more.

Del Goins

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 09:04 AM
Wannabe Guru

Yep. wish I had done that, Del. That coffeefolia was a beauty. I'll keep that in mind for the future.

James
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 12:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
If you get Signature Confirmation on the Priority Mail it can't be left. It needs a signature.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 08:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thats an extra service for priority that cost, I believe, 5.95. I don't think you saving yourself any money and the plants are on the road for an extra day or two.

Del Goins

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 12:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Signature confirmation adds $1.80
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 03:37 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Sorry, I was thinking about restricted delivery.

Del Goins

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 04:47 AM
Banned

PTrader: (53/98%)
I just sold some Riccia Fluitans and gave two clippings of some Anubias Nana as a gift plant. The package went to New Jersey during the week and it was below 32 degs F. at night. The plants made it just fine from the email responce I got from the buyer.

I packed it in a few layers of newspaper then placed that in a ziplock plastic bag. I then would get some water from the tank the plants came from and pour it into the plastic bag just enough to wet the paper and a little more to keep it moist.

This bag would go into another ziplock bag to insure no leakage. Then I would wrap the whole thing with bubble wrap and place it into a box supplied from FedEx.

The package was send By FedEx Express and was held at FedEx station for pick up from costumer. This way the package is not left in the cold but in a building that is warmer than outside.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode