New Home for the BCK! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2007, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
New Home for the BCK!

Well, as many of you know, the Big Clear Kahuna bit the dust a few months ago - had the gall to spring a massive leak right in the middle of my family room! It's been gathering dust for a few months in my shed. Not many people have had the courage to take me up on my offer of giving it (and the stand) to a good home - if they'd just fix it and post pics.

But one intrepid board member did speak up a while back, and today he made a long drive to my home in Wesport to pick up the BCK! Whoo hoo! New home for the Kahuna!

The member was briandmiles - helluva nice guy! - but I started wondering about his intelligence when he drove up in this little, bitty, Honda! I'm talking little! I took one look, and it was pretty clear (didn't take a genius... ) that no way was a 75 gallon tank, AND stand, going in his little car!

But hey, the guy was nice enough to drive a long (long) way here to pick it up. The least I could do is TRY to help him get it in the car - even if I knew darn well that I was going to be stuck with the stand.

Well, all I can say is look at this pic! Amazing. Briandmiles measured it all out before he came, and sunna-va-gun he was right! It was not remotely easy, but it DID all go in his car!

Whooo hooo! New home for the Kahuna! I even stumbled across another tube of RTV108, so maybe he'll be able to fix it. I can't wait to see fish and plants back in it again!

So my hat's off to briandmiles. I'm turning over the Big Clear Kahuna name over to you now pal! You own the tank, you inherit the name to use as you see fit. Or not. Decisions yours - BCK's your's, so so is the name.

Thanks for picking it up Buddy! You put that back panel on with the RTV108 (like I should have), and it'll hold just fine. I'm thrilled to see this going to a fine board member, a good home, and a great guy! I'm sure there'll be some great pics to see in not to many months! I can't wait!

It's a fine tradition that briandmiles has taken on... and I'm sure he''ll do it proud! If you get a chance, please join me in thanking him for taking this challenge on, and keeping the Big Clear Kahuna alive! Thanks pal!

Steve - 33g reef and a 180g planted in need of a re-scape.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2007, 09:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Muhahauha. The BCK lives on!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 01:56 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
Sweet! We had a similar experience getting a 75 tank and stand into a car lol

Excited to see the restoration of the BCK!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 02:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
I am too - consider me subscribed!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 02:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to dufus
Cool, It's back!!!
How did he get that into the little honda AND drive it home?lol.

I'm betting he wasn't too comfortable.

-Devin-
Steve irwin- a father, a hero, a memory now. -We'll miss you mate
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 04:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
Wow! That's a BIG tank with a BIG stand and a BIG guy for such a little car! And yep, I'm subscribed, too ~ can't wait to see what Brian does with it.

~ Linda ~

How many watts do I need to make my swimming pool a high light tank?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 04:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
I bet he fits in that car just fine, they may look little but they have SO much room. Hatchbacks will surprise you - I have a Pontiac Vibe and I LOVE it. I can fit SO much in there and I can see out of it so much better than when I used to drive my Sunfire. I wouldn't trade my car for any other!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 05:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenThePlantGeek View Post
I bet he fits in that car just fine, they may look little but they have SO much room. Hatchbacks will surprise you - I have a Pontiac Vibe and I LOVE it. I can fit SO much in there and I can see out of it so much better than when I used to drive my Sunfire. I wouldn't trade my car for any other!
I agree, hatchbacks are surprisingly roomy, especially Hondas. I had a '93 Honda Civic hatchback, and it surprised me and my brother how much luggages and boxes we could fit in it.

I "sold" (more like gave it to him for less than half the price that I bought it with) it to my bro when I bought my '07 Civic Si Sedan a few months ago.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 08:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/100%)
I spent 17 hours driving that day and I really was comfortable. It was worth every minute just to go see the Son of Kahuna and to meet Steve and his family. The Big Clear Kahuna and stand were just nice side benefits. I just hope I can live up to the expectations of the forum.

Brian

Eheim Pimp #134
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 09:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
Well, that's wild. I want a more fuel-efficient second automobile for when we don't have to haul so many things (our ranch truck is a one-ton GMC gas guzzler *sigh*), but DH is 6' and DSS is headed that way. I've been resisting because I thought they wouldn't be comfortable in one. I'll have to look into those little cars more then.

And Brian, don't be too nervous! I'm sure you can do a great job with it.

~ Linda ~

How many watts do I need to make my swimming pool a high light tank?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by briandmiles View Post
I spent 17 hours driving that day and I really was comfortable. It was worth every minute just to go see the Son of Kahuna and to meet Steve and his family. The Big Clear Kahuna and stand were just nice side benefits. I just hope I can live up to the expectations of the forum.

Brian
Stop it Brian! You're making me blush! But it is kind of you to say. Thank you.

Don't worry about expectations. IMO you did the community a service by just keeping a popular tank alive! Or maybe more accurately... going to the trouble to give it a second life.

I wish you the same freedom I had with the BCK. Freedom to succeed, freedom to fail. But through it all - good and bad, I wish you the same joy I had working with that tank. Even if you do have some tough times, when the BCK looks good, IMO it looks awesome! - and makes every moment worth it.

Just wait until that first time you fill it up to the brim, and see the big clear cube of water! Then you'll understand.

Best of luck my friend.

Steve - 33g reef and a 180g planted in need of a re-scape.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 07:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Brian,

Do you have any pics of the BCK in its new home?

'mid tech'
46 bow front low tech
10 gallon No tech
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 12:08 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpyfunk View Post
Brian,

Do you have any pics of the BCK in its new home?
I would like to see some updates too please.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode