nylon rope - cloudy water ??? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2007, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to dapellegrini
nylon rope - cloudy water ???

It have been a strange morning...

The short story - I left a piece of nylon rope soaking in my PWC water and now my tank is grayish-cloudy... Should I be worried?

The longer story -

Every friday night I plug a 30-ish gallon trash can into my RO/DI system and leave it to fill over night. I then use a 50/50ish mix of tap water and the RO/DI to do my weekly PWC on my 72-gallon tank (change ~75%).

The setup looks like this:

Well in an effort to eliminate the water trickle noise as the can fills, I took some nylon rope, cut it to length, melted the cut end with a lighter (so it doesn't unwind) and draped it over the float valve - and it worked great... SILENCE AT LAST!

As I was refilling the tank this morning I noticed that my RO/DI water was cloudy/grayish... Most definitely from leaving the nylon rope soaking in their over night, as this is the only thing that has changed in my routine ... Well now my tank is hazy and I am wondering if I should be worrying ?

I am running a new batch of RO/DI water right now but will be a few more hours before I can do another PWC... Of course I didn't rinse or wash the rope before (new out of packaging), but I am thinking it may be more from the melted end that I made ??? Or perhaps they use some industrial solvents or bleach to get it perfectly white - hmmmmm...

I hope my fish don't hate me to much by day's end...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2007, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I took the rope and soaked it in some clean water and this is what it looked like in a few minutes - to give you an idea -

Harder to tell in the aquarium - and it is starting to clear a bit -

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2007, 07:58 PM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
I've worked with black nylon rope and nets for mounting moss, and nylon velcro for rooting plants, and have never seen any kind of water clouding. the only problem with nylon is a few fine hollow stemmed plants will melt which in contact with it. I can only speculate your rope was stored in a construction area where dust and powder debris may have become embedded between it's fibers, so it's a good thing you soaked it first.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2007, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Actually I didn't soak it first, and whatever it was leeching into the water went in with my fish. This is a new rope from Home Depot - just out of the plastic bag... I think that it may be the burnt end that was causing this... Can't think of what else might have do it.

I just did another large water change to make sure that I don't have any issues...
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 05:49 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to dufus
you should soak it first. nyln is safe in the tank, it's what killie,livebearer, and goldfish breeders use for "spawning mops"

-Devin-
Steve irwin- a father, a hero, a memory now. -We'll miss you mate
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 10:53 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
Always rinse anything/everything before it goes in the tank. Even if it's "brand new". Could be dirt, grime left over before packaging or a bacterial bloom... would have to be pretty bad to bloom in just overnight.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Ya - was kinda stupid of me... Live and learn - was so white and clean looking LOL...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode