How many plants are too much? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
How many plants are too much?

Hi everyone. Well, after I got 10 more expensive tropheus, my dad says "No more FISH until the end of the school year." As you can see, he didn't say anything about plants. So I'm thinking of turning my 30 gallon breeder tank into a no CO2 required, light-lover's tank.

The tank's size is 24x18x18, the tank is large, but it gives the impression of being small. So I think it would be more suitible for plants instead

The plants I have right now are some lucky bamboo, and two pieces of Java mossed wood.
The plants I would like to keep are 1.hornwort, 2.vallis and 3.water wisteria.

If I keep all of these plants in this tank. would it work out, or do you not think so? If not, please specify why, and if you can tell me which species would be most apropriate for that tank.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 01:59 PM

PTrader: (11/100%)
I think those plants would do fine in that tank, I've got them in my low maint. 20 gallon

Tina

p.s. Too many plants is when you can't see any swimming room and can't add any more water
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 02:23 PM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_evil_duboisi View Post
The plants I would like to keep are 1.hornwort, 2.vallis and 3.water wisteria.
with enough light; hornwort and wisteria are weeds that will quickly become a nuisance that you will have to thin out every week. I suggest you study plants discussed on the low tech side of our forum that have moderate growth rates. please clarify exactly what you mean by "light lovers" since we need to know the total wattage of your fixture to advise you best.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 01:52 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I wasn't specific about light. I have 3 26 watt lights, so 78 at the max, but more normally 52 I guess. Well, I just wanted a lush grow of plants and thought they would be good examples. Also, the Java moss doesn't seem to be doing very well.

I don't care if they're weeds, that's whaat I want to see, being dominated by plants as I did when I was keeping African cichlid fry!

And also, I'm tight on money, and though I love Java fern and anubias, getting a great stock of them would be too expensive. You can't get much from a 15 year old kid who just spend $70(Most of his pocket-money) on 10 fish!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

Okay then, so it to be. I'll get i bunch each of water wistria, hornwort and vallis. The tank fauna will be Endler's livebearers.

Thanks guys. Right now I need some money, so when I get the plants and tank set up, I'll post again?

BTW: In ideal conditions, how long does it take for the plants to take over the tank?
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 03:41 PM

wisteria can take over in 3 weeks in right conditions

kara
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 03:44 PM

giant hygro is another easy one that looks great.

here's a pic of my 30g with giant hygro, wisteria, java fern, and the odd other plant mixed in. The lights are two 18W flourescents with macros 2x per week and micros 1 x per week. High bioload tank too. Every week I cut back the plants halfway down the tank.

kara
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 05:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
Quote:
How many plants are too much?
When your fish are plastered against the walls of your tank.

In my experience, hygrophilas in general grow like gangbusters. I have four species at the moment ~ H. angustifolia, water sprite/wisteria, H. polysperma 'Sunset' and 'Ceylon'. They're usually cheap, too ~ really cheap when compared to anubias.

How fast do they grow? Well, in two months I've cut lots twice out of my low-tech tank (NO ferts, NO CO2 and dappled sun from a window ~ RCS are the only inhabitants and I don't feed them much) and it's almost ready for another trim. Thank goodness, because I've got two more tanks to fill with something!

~ Linda ~

How many watts do I need to make my swimming pool a high light tank?
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys......Can I make another question?

In the long one, which is better, hornwort or anacharis? I guess anacharis would be easier to trim because my cichlids love it.....Haha
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 09:36 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
I love water wisteria. If it is a weed well so be it. In low light tanks they are not that bad and great at keeping the algea away. They soak up the stuff algea would use to grow.
Good luck

My planted tank. 55 gallon fluorite substrate over soil, 64 watts of light, excel twice a week. Weekly water changes. Angelfish pair, guppies, BN plecos and otos. Redone 11/13/2012
One non planted tanks. 75 gallon.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 02:54 PM

PTrader: (5/100%)
I like anacharis better than hornwort, it's not so "weedy" looking. Plus once you have hornwort in your tank for a while, you will be finding little pieces of it tangled in things months later.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

I just ordered the water wisteria, and am looking for the anacharis. Thanks guys again!
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 05:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
I tried Hornwort once and hated it. Pieces of it all over the tank. I'd stick with Anacharis if I were you.

In low light it grows rather slow and won't get out of control on you.

Filstar Pimp #84
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 06:59 PM
Planted Member

Look good to me... Too many plants? Nah, it's fine... Fish? What fish? :-)
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

Fish: Poecilia WingetiX4, Puntius NigrofasiatusX2(Hope this works!) Ancistrus sp. L-144X3
Plants: Java moss, vallisneria spiralis, anacharis, salvinia, lemna, water wisteria.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode