Ludwigia Repens being invaded - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hello all, to put it short my 90g has been up for almost 1.5 months and the l. repens I added last week are succoming to a brown algae attack. I have no ottos and don't think I can get and soon. Is there anything else I can do so they do not die from the lack of light? I have 2.4wpg and dose flourish 2x per week. PH 6.8 KH 3 Amm trace and nitrites trace, I tested my nitrates last week and it was 5ppm. I didn't know if pulling them up and doing a bleach/water dip would help them until the water develops more. I only have 4 banana plants one med sword and about 14 stems of L. Repens. I think this is what is killing me I need more plants. What are some fast growers I can get to suck up nutrients and grow like a bastard?

Thanks

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 09:03 PM
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (9/100%)
I would not do a bleach/water dip with the L. repens. Doing so would be more detrimental to the plant than good IMO. Also, if you're worry about excessive nutrients, then cut back on what you're adding to the tank in terms of ferts. Sounds like the tank is still going through a balancing act if you're still having problems with brown algae. It's better to ease back on the nutrients than adding too much...

If you still plan on adding more plants to suck up the nutrients, I would load up a bit more on some fast growers, such as ambulia (asian or not), wisteria, and hornwort comes to mind.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 12:44 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, I am planning on wisteria as I like the way it looks and think it would work well, but that would not be for a week or so because $$ is tight this week. Although there has been a change I took 4 of the stems out and noticed the bottom 1" of the stem is covered in black...now I am not sure what this is, it may be the eco complete I am not sure, it wasn't bit of gravel from the Eco just black coloring, alomost slimey. my bottom 1" is Eco complete and the next 1" is Schultz Profile then 1" of rive gravel. So basically the plant is either sucking up nutrients big time from the Eco complete or it is rotting, I am leaning towards the first because the plant still has quite a bit of red and green coloring, some of the edges of the leaves are however yellowing a bit.

Steve

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 01:08 AM
Wannabe Guru

wisteria is a nice plant

Eheim Pimp Club Member #32
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 03:32 AM
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (9/100%)
Is the part that is black disintegrating or mushy at all?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 05:34 AM Thread Starter

it is slimy but the stem itself it not mushy, I have all of them in a pretty tight area of the tank so hopefully that isn't affecting it. I think it may be coloring from the Eco but I have never heard of that.

steve
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 11:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I've had no problems with eco coloring stems. It looks like it may be starting to rot at the bottoms.

George

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

what are causes of rot?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 07:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

rotting food , ....not enough light.... .. trying to think of other reasons....hmmm...

Eheim Pimp Club Member #32
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 07:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Your plants rotting.

Do you use CO2 in your tank.

You don't necessarily have to, but your Ludwiga will thank you for it. I had that problem with that plant once. How tall is it? Is it getting enough light? It's definitely not your substrate.

-

-
-
AQUATIC GAZETTE FEATURE

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

I am giving it 3wpg now, no Co2 yet I am in the process of moving soon and don't wanna set another thing up when I need to tear the tank down anyways. The stems are about 6" tall. However I found the problem I the leaves that were buried under the substrate were rotting not the stem, it did look like the stem had some damage so I cut a bit off the ends and replanted a little less dense. Hope they can hold out till next week for co2.

Thanks

steve
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2004, 03:47 AM

If the stem is crushed during planting it can cause it to rot... Burying leaves under the substrate (instead of cutting them off before planting) can cause the leaf and then the stem to rot.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode