Seems I should have looked more closely... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
Last night I set up my tank, put int he substrate, heater, filter, etc, and turned it all on. Was at the time under the impresstion I could order plants today, and have them in tomorrow. Looked a litter harder at the shipping terms, and seems that with plants that doesn't happen.

So I've got a 29 gallon with 2WPG and a XP2 keeping ther circulating. What should I do while I am waiting for my plants? Looks like they're gonna take at least a week to get in. Should I empty the tank, and refill when the plants come? I'm under the impresion if I leave it as is, it'll start growing algee quick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 05:40 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
I would leave it filled, just turn down/off the lights until the plants get in. You could have the first brown algae growing, but this is part of a new tank anyway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 05:43 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Just keep the lights off, no lights, no algae.

Keep the filter running. Make sure the heater is keeping the temps where you want it.

Will you be adding CO2? You could spend a week getting the DIY CO2 stuff together and have that running in the tank when the plants arrive.

When you plant, turn the lights on.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 06:21 PM

I would either drain the tank or cover it with newspaper or something. I think that a week of water in a tank with no plants will be an invitaion for algae.

Ken
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 06:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
only an invitation if there is light to feed it.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I will definately turn the lights off. I am doing CO2, and I did plan on having that running in the next couple of days anyways.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 07:19 PM

<<<only an invitation if there is light to feed it>>>
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My reasoning of draining the tank or covering it with newspaper was that even with the tank lights off, I would still be concerned about ambient room or window light. I may be a little over doing it but I really hate algae.

Ken
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 07:32 PM

No, room light or ambient light is not a problem, especially if there is no nutrient in the tank to feed it. I think a tank of water could sit for months without growing anything. Even sunshine won't grow algae if the nutrients are not there for it.

Take this time to fine tune the CO2 levels.

Amano's site says to run the tank for 4 weeks with plants before adding fish. I think that is with high CO2 levels for that time. Not that I ever did that, but is seems like good advice.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 07:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
the amount of algae grown from ambient light will be little compared to the commonly encountered "new tank syndrome"

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 01:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

wait, don't add co2 so early.... i remember reading amano's suggestions and he says wait 1 month before adding co2 and fertilizers.

Eheim Pimp Club Member #32
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubbahubbahehe
wait, don't add co2 so early.... i remember reading amano's suggestions and he says wait 1 month before adding co2 and fertilizers.
i think that you are right -- here is the link to the Beginners Journal

http://www.vectrapoint.com/main/infocentral.html
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 01:32 AM
Wannabe Guru

oh yes, thank you for that link, anonapersona,

cruizer, that place will provide you with most of the answers to your questions. For the rest of your questions, all the green thumbs here will help you. I've had many, many, many questions answered here. see my 837 posts? about 800 of those are questions lol. and all answered in a speedy manner.

Eheim Pimp Club Member #32
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 02:42 AM Thread Starter

Thanks all!
I haven't seen that link yet! Thanks for the info!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode