Diy Co2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Diy Co2

Anyone have a good set of instructions for a DIY CO2 that would work on a 29-gallon?

The plants:
Echinodorus amazonicus, Mayaca fluviatilis, Vallisneria, Alternanthera reineckii, Microsorum pteropus, Rotala indica, Echinodorus parviflorus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 02:56 AM
Algae Grower

check ths DIY forum..tons of info on doing it
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 05:38 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 07:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
keep in mind, with a tank that size you will need at least two 2-liter bottles going. You may need to supplement with Excel to keep things stable in order to avoid algae blooms. I used to do two bottles on my 25 gallon long tank and had problems until I went pressurized. If you can't afford pressurized, just make sure you have your ducks in a row to minimize algae. Also, I would definitely recommend that you don't use a HOB-type filter if you're gonna use DIY CO2.

Good luck!
Christine

P.S. Check out champagne yeast for longer, more stable CO2 solutions.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 01:22 AM Thread Starter

A little bit after I made this post I found the DIY CO2 articles in the DIY section LOL.

The tank filter is an AquaClear 50. I thought it was dead after a power outage the other day, but I took the intake and jammed it into the propeller, and voila! It started real quick LOL. My current AquaClear is a replacement for another one that went dead... Maybe I should try jamming the propeller.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 03:06 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
I'm new so please excuse the stupid question but why would I not want to use DIY yeast w/ HOB filteration? I am cuz I didn't know better and wondering if it's important enough for me to change? Also, Why Algae blooms w/ DIY yeast and not preasurized? If it's easier, is there a like I can read up on these topics for myself to save you the grief of explaining topics that have probably already been beat to death b4 I joined?

Thanks!
________
SweetGirl18

Last edited by Tdon1md; 08-22-2011 at 11:34 AM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2007, 08:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdon1md View Post
I'm new so please excuse the stupid question but why would I not want to use DIY yeast w/ HOB filteration? I am cuz I didn't know better and wondering if it's important enough for me to change? Also, Why Algae blooms w/ DIY yeast and not preasurized? If it's easier, is there a like I can read up on these topics for myself to save you the grief of explaining topics that have probably already been beat to death b4 I joined?

Thanks!
HOBs create a lot of surface motion that is often hard to control without filling the tank to the rim and restricting the flow somehow. Too much surface motion depletes CO2 faster, and DIY bottles are already inconsistent, so any little thing that aids in CO2 depletion can cause huge swings in plant health, algae etc.

You can read a lot about CO2 and ferts at rexgrigg.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode