Weird growth on glass - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Weird growth on glass

Hi all,

Does anyone know what this is? It's yellowish, I cleaned it off last week and now it's back. I've had this tank established for a year and a half and this has never happened before. I put it one of those vitamin pyramids about a month ago, I've used them before without this weird growth, so I don't know where it came from. Any advice is welcomed.

Thanks

http://simsfan3.spaces.live.com/Pers...&_c=PhotoAlbum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 12:26 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
Send a message via MSN to RachPreach
thats is weird looking...wish i could help

100g tank:10 small angelfish, 1 harlequin rasbora, 2 albino cory, 2 clown loach, 1 rubberlip pleco, 1 bristlenose pleco and 1 apisto borellis.
Rena Filstar xp3, 2x32 and 1x96 watts with no co2.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 12:30 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via AIM to retoid Send a message via MSN to retoid
wow! what is that I wonder.

What are your tank specs?

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 12:33 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
That's a new one. I thought I'd seen pictures of just about every type of growth possible come across the boards in the few years I've been a member here, but I must say I've never seen anything quite like that before. Looks like it oughta be in a reef tank.

Sláinte!
Cindy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 01:16 AM Thread Starter

Well, these posts are real encouraging, lol. I thought I'd seen it all in my tank too, I've had egg babies, seed shrimp, algae, but this is new. Hmm, I guess I'll scrub some marbles and rock, rinse the bio-filters and do a better cleaning, even though the levels are all good. Maybe I should find a lab to look at this. I'm concerned it will spread to my other tank.

Thanks for the posts!

46 Gal. Euro, plant light
Flourite substrate
Undergravel filter, 3 cartridges
Hanging aqua tech filter
assorted tetras, 1 frog, 1 red-tailed cat, platies, swordtail
assorted plants
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 02:22 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (36/100%)
Interesting, looks like fungus. I have only seen that type of growth on moist terrarium glass (I googled and found this photo).

- Satu

Eheim Pimp #152
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 02:43 AM

It looked up a couple of terms and found that it looks like Physarum polycephalum which is also known as a "slime mold" and is said to be harmless. If you look it up on google or google images you will find quite a bit of info on it... Seems quite interesting, but I don't know about in a fish tank
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 02:44 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for that find rain, it does look like the same thing. I don't think it's "cool" like the person who posted that pic though, I want it gone. Mine seems to stay in one place, it just keeps growing, yuck. I wonder what kills it. Hopefully a major cleaning will get rid of it.

Thanks again

I agree with you about having this in a fish tank JFout, it makes me nervous.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 03:00 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to retoid Send a message via MSN to retoid
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 03:27 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, gross huh? I saw another with it growing on the glass of an aquarium like mine. It also sounds like anything that will kill it would be toxic for the fish, of course. I thought I could take things apart a bit and bleach treat them, but it says that won't kill it on most sites, so I guess I'm up a creek now. I read that after it's done feeding, it goes into reproduction stage, geez what to do now? Sounds like a total tank breakdown, new filters, decor, everything. I wonder if heavy salt would work instead of chlorine. Soak for a few days, rinse for a few days, lol. Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 03:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseHawke View Post
That's a new one. I thought I'd seen pictures of just about every type of growth possible come across the boards in the few years I've been a member here, but I must say I've never seen anything quite like that before. Looks like it oughta be in a reef tank.
Ditto - I'm amazed, never seen anything like that before. Please be sure to keep us updated on how you get rid of it.

Seriously, I'm amazed...

I love this hobby. Once you think you've seen it all...

Good luck!!

- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 04:08 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Jen.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 07:07 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
looks pretty darn cool..
I'd say it's slime mold too.. They're unicellular animals that live in colonies..
I guess they're a type of fungus like yeast.

http://www.environment.gov.au/biodiv...ime-mould.html

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

I thought I'd give an update, this morning the mold is decreased in size considerably. I've been reading that this mold thrives in cold, dark places and waits for the right conditions to thrive. So, that tells me that I have too much water sprite blocking the light, and I forgot that I turned the heater down when we had a hot spell of weather a few weeks ago. I'm wondering if the photos I took yesterday exposed the mold to enough light from the flash to make it slow down. I found a Harvard doctor online who wrote a whole website about these wierd molds, so I dropped him a line, I'll post his reply if he makes one. I'm going to clean the tank now, turn up the heat and get rid of some sprite to change the conditions that allows it to live. I'm also considering exposing the tank to a black light or some other light for awhile, any thoughts?
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 04:54 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
get a uv sterilizer. I wouldn't expose the whole tank to uv.
You'll kill fish that way.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode