green algea on my tank walls - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (6/100%)
How do i get rid of it? what is the cause?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 11:00 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
What's your setup?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 11:06 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Green algae are considered a sign of "good" water quality, whatever that is. Excessive amounts and growth of them is often connected to high light levels, while having too few plants in the tank.

You get rid of them with an algae scraper. There are various forms and types out there, one kind consists of two magnets, the most common ones have a wooden handle and a plastic scraper or sponge on it. You can use credit cards just as well. Years ago I used razor blades.

Whatever you use, you need to be careful to not scratch the glass, especially if it isn't glass but acrylic. Picking up sand while scraping close to the bottom is a good way to scratch your tank. Don't...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (6/100%)
i do have somewhat of a high lighitng system and i dont have too much plants because i dont want to overcrowd the tank because the more important focus is on the fish. Is there any sort of solution?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 12:47 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
The credit card or some other straight edged plastic object works the best.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 04:34 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
This is what I do for my fish only tank. I only turn on the light 10-12 hours a day (w/ timer). I would let the algae grows on the rearside of the tank (I have dark background color on all my tanks) and let it bloom on one that side only. I just scrape the sides and the front of the tank. If you have excess/ high phosphate level or nutrients in your tank, the algae will keep coming back so might as well grow them where it's not really obvious. I realize that when I let the algae grows on one side, the other sides have much less algae growth.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 10:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
ancistrus seem to like cleaning the glass.

George

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 02:04 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Not all of them I have two and they like to clean the wood and plants. Although they do attach themselves to the glass and do some scrubbing, it is not very effective :?
At least I still have to continue scraping algae... so don't count on them to take over.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 02:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I didn't say they'd take over, but they do decrease the frequency with which I have to scrape in my 45 gallon tank. I have two of them in there. I bought a rubbernose or rubberlip pleco first because I heard they were realy good at keeping the glass clean, well, mine isn't. Although he is really good at keeping the driftwood clean.

George

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 03:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Get a twig catfish, farlowella.

The love that stuff.

-

-
-
AQUATIC GAZETTE FEATURE

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode