Styrofoam under glass tank help level and eliminate stress points. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Styrofoam under glass tank help level and eliminate stress points.

I read somewhere that you need styrofoam to help eliminate stress points on the plastic rims and help level the tank. Some even recommended to use 1/2" thick styrofoam for tank less than 50gallons and 3/4" thick for heavier tank.

Is this true? do you really need styrofoam ? anyone in here use styrofoam under their tank?

I have a 150g and would like to know before i fill up the tank. I Don't want to come home with a house full of water. if you do have experience with styrofoam, please let me know how thick i suppose to get. I heard you can find it at Lowes and Home Depot .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 10:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

I've put it under a stand before when I had a lumpy floor, but I don't believe you need it--otherwise tank manufacturers would make their warranties contingent on it. Just be sure the stand is level (and your tank didn't come from craigslist--just kidding! )
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 10:29 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
I used it on my ADA tank because it has a flat bottom. I think 3/4" is way overkill though. I used the 1/4" pink insulating styrofoam available at your LOCAL hardware store.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mori View Post
I've put it under a stand before when I had a lumpy floor, but I don't believe you need it--otherwise tank manufacturers would make their warranties contingent on it. Just be sure the stand is level (and your tank didn't come from craigslist--just kidding! )
haha Mori, yes it's from craigslist.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 01:42 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
My floor runs off where my 55 sits, so what I did was cut wedges out of wood, and nailed them to the bottom of the stand to get the stand as level as possible before I sat the tank on it.

Ive also heard u can use strips of cardboard to shim under the low spots to get the stand level.

The stand top itsself should be perfectly flat and not cause any stress points on the bottom rim.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 01:43 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Can a large piece of cardboard or laminate floor padding be used?

Rena Filtstar #137!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 02:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
I have always put the 3/4 inch pink constuction styrofoam under my larger tanks. I sleep better that way. Might make the difference if we ever have a slight earthquake. And we did about 5 years back. Enough to get all the light fixtures in the house swaying. At the time, I thought a tree had hit my house.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 02:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betowess View Post
I have always put the 3/4 inch pink constuction styrofoam under my larger tanks. I sleep better that way. Might make the difference if we ever have a slight earthquake. And we did about 5 years back. Enough to get all the light fixtures in the house swaying. At the time, I thought a tree had hit my house.
Thats good to know. yeah i might as well go grab one at Lowes just so i can sleep better at night.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 03:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Well, i just looked around the backside, and it looks like its thicker, like at least one inch thick heavy duty pink construction styro. Prolly all they had at the Home Depot at the time.
Of course I put some 1x4 hemlock molding around the base to hide the styro and some of the substrate. Looks much better that way.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 05:58 PM

OK here is my newbie question...

Are you putting the styrofoam on the floor and then the stand on that, or the styrofoam between the tank and stand?
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beancurd View Post
OK here is my newbie question...

Are you putting the styrofoam on the floor and then the stand on that, or the styrofoam between the tank and stand?
i'm pretty sure its between the tank and stand. actually i went to Lowes yesterday and bought the pink styrofoam 1/2" and will place it between the tank and stand.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 06:23 PM

Yeah I was thinking that too, then it's like just the rim of the tank rests on the rim of the stand so naturally I overthink it.

We did manage to fit a 75 tank and stand in the back of my roomates car. Nissan something or other. Guy from the store was amazed it fit lol

Were were overly full tho, so no stopping at hardware store for the padding.

More stuff coming so will take pictures etc when I do set it up.

Thank you for the quick reply!
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 06:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
I don't use the styrafoam, but when the tank is filled up, you can see that the floor is slightly off as one side has a higher water level than the other. Not by much, but it's noticeable. As far as stress, I doubt it really makes much of a difference, except for the very large heavy tanks. I've had this tank set up for over a year without any problems.

90g journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SAPS member -
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 07:21 PM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
ringram, here's a funny one. I bought this resealed breeder tank off craigslist, so when I set it up I use a carpenter's level along each rim to make sure it's nice and flat before filling it up. I fill it up, and the water level is a half centimeter higher on one corner! I'm freaking out, like maybe my old apartment floor is sagging, or the stand got bent from the water weight! anyway, it turns out when the guy resealed it he didn't bang the frame back into place completely, so it was not the tank that was off level, it was just the top frame!

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 08:56 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
Always use something between stand and tank... no matter what the size.
For my 150g tank I use an old strip of carpeting. On all my other tanks (10's through 150g) I use triple-walled cardboard or cardboard from shipping boxes.
Just try budging a 10g tank that has sat on a plywood stand for over 10 years... a little water spilled here and there under the tank seals it really nice to the stand. A piece of cardboard solves the problem and prevents cracks or broken seams when it comes time to move it. A little prevention beforehand saves !BIG! headaches down the road.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode