Planting dwarf hairgrass - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hi,
I'm just started planting my first planted tank last week and need some info. I saw some planted tank pictures that have very nice dwarf hairgrass carpeting the foregrounds. How do I make those nice carpet ? I mean, how many should I buy? Do they just grow and spread evenly or there is a trick to it? So far, I have all my other plants growing healthy except the hairgrass. When I bought them, they came with pots. I removed the plastic pots but had problem removing the sponge (the roots would came out). So I planted the whole the root with the sponge all together. Would this effect the growth? I still see a little brown grass here and there. All my other plants are just thriving and show beautiful green and red colors (a lot of difference compared to when I just got them) except the hairgrass. I hope they're just slow growers and not dying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 04:40 PM

Definitely get the sponge stuff off the plants...I think they cannot spread out any roots or runners. Hairgrass carpets the best with a sand substrate, but you should be just fine with normal gravel...it just may not look quite as dense for a longer period of time. I have issues with my hairgrass clumps floating up after a short time...slow rooting, and too many bottom feeders I guess.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 04:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I also suggest planting these in a checker board pattern a few @ a time.

The X equals a few plants

x x x x x x x x
x x x x x x x
x x x x x x x x
x x x x x x x
x x x x x x x

this will make it easier for the plants to fill in.
This plant does great with a fine substrate an plety of light and nutrients.
I have sucessfully grown in in the pots in 60 deg water with no substrates as well
Using excel and flourish daily

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

I'm using sand substrate in that tank. Which plant would spread out easily to make a nice green carpet?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode