Do you leave the little weights on? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Do you guys leave the little weights on that hold the plant bunches together when you buy them from the lfs? They're made out of lead aren't they? It seems like that would be bad for the tank. Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about...... that's why I'm asking you guys, lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 10:02 AM

You don't want to leave the weight on. Cut the stems about a half an inch above the weight--the stems are probably damaged where the weight was. Also, if its a rooting plant (one that can grow roots), pluck off the first few sets of leaves--a few inches worth. The roots will grow from the same nodes as the leaves when you pull (pull, not shove) the stem down into the substrate. Of course, before you do any of this, do you know the name of the plant in question? I'm assuming its a stem plant of some sort since its in a bunch, but you never know.

There are some decent "how to plant your plants" sites out there. Unfortunately, I don't have time at the moment to look any up for you.

^iMp^
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 12:33 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
They are lead and they are temporary , definately remove them.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 01:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
They are probably not lead but you should not leave them on. Lead has pretty much been removed from most uses due to the toxicity of it. The weights are more than likely an alloy. I know I have yet to see a lead weight here. Weight alone will tell most of them apart. I have used a ton of lead in my days as a hard core Steelhead angler and them weights are not lead.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 04:38 PM

All the plant weights in the united states are a zinc alloy (with aluminum I think). Remove them anyhow.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode