Which plants would do well with these fish? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 01:48 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Which plants would do well with these fish?

Hi! I have a 45gal high tank that I would love to put some live plants in. Problem is, I have a few plant eaters that have shredded anything I've ever added. I have 3 tin foil barbs, 1 jack dempsey, 1 parrot cichlid, and 2 gold severums, and one yellow lab cichlid. Any ideas as to which plants might make it? How many should I add at one time? I also would like something on my big piece of driftwood. (they ate the java fern). Any ideas would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 02:10 AM
Algae Grower

I personally think you'd just be throwing money away trying to plant that tank with the current inhabitants. You really should give some serious consideration to getting a MUCH larger tank as well... you are grossly overstocked with the fish you have in there. Sorry to be ther bearer of bad news, just trying to help.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 03:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
I have to agree - tinfoil barbs are LAWNMOWERS. You might do ok with some floaters like frogbit (maybe) or duckweed, but your best bet is to get some plastic plants on slate (never thought I'd say that, but in this case... yeah.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 11:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)
Anubias and Java fern should hold up. But that tank is WAY WAY undersized.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I know I'm overstocked for that size tank. The tinfoils were given to me, and I will be looking for a home for them soon, since they are now already about 7in long each. The jack dempsey is also about 7 in long. I've had him forever I think. Didn't know he'd be SO hardy!!! I have two power filters and a power head on this tank which help with filtration for this tank. But they actually do quite well ( I don't know how!). I really like the parrot cichlid, and would like more of them I think. But I don't they'd all fit. One of my gold severum is actually orange and white, like a goldfish. His color stands out so well!

Oh, and they ate all the anubias and java fern I tried before!! I have nothing but plastic in there right now. (which, of course, they keep digging up!)
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Hi guys! I did a little research and found out I don't have gold severum at all! I haven't had them very long, but they don't look anything like the pics on the internet! Too pointed! Here is the orange one. If someone can identify it, I'd would greatly appreciate it! I guess the pet store is misinformed also. I'm going to try and post a picture of it!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Sorry, I can't post a picture. I don't have the manage attachments option. I'll keep looking and see if I can find this fish....
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Oh! that's just great......
I think it's a red devil..... that is definitely NOT what I wanted in my tank. Fortunately he's still small.....and out he goes! Going to call a local pet store and see if they'll take him....
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 11:20 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenThePlantGeek View Post
but your best bet is to get some plastic plants on slate (never thought I'd say that, but in this case... yeah.)
my Cichlids will eat fake plants if there is algae on them
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 11:21 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmccreedy View Post
Anubias and Java fern should hold up. But that tank is WAY WAY undersized.
not to a tin foil
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

Not a problem anymore! The pet store is finding a new home for Big Jack (dempsey) the big tin foil barbs, and the red devil. I dropped them off yesterday. All I'm keeping is the blood parrot and the electric yellow cichlid which are milder mannered. After a good water change, I've added some small tiger barbs, 3 australian rainbows, a bosemani (sp?) rainbow, 2 gold gourami, and 2 paradise gourami. Hopefully any plants will do better now. Open for suggestions again.....
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 12:54 AM

You added all those fish today? Do you have plants yet? All those fish will make you biological filtration system go whack without a lot of fast growing stems.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 03:19 AM Thread Starter

Yep! It's a well established tank, and I didn't mess with the power filters. I'll change them out/clean them in a few weeks. Actually, I took out about 24 1/2 inches of fish, which is hard on the bio load, and replaced it with about 14 1/2 inches of fish instead, which should give the tank a little break for awhile. I will probably treat the whole tank for parasites in a few days after the fish settle in, and I watch them for a few days. I added 3 bunches of anacharis(from my koi pond) and 2 itty bitty amazon sword babies (from another plant) just to start with. I think I would like some valisneria grass in the back of the tank because it gets so tall, or something else that gets tall. (unless it becomes lunch!) I have a 20W fluorescent lamp full spectrum right now, but I'll probably swap it out for something better soon to help out the plants.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode