backgrounds - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
backgrounds

ok, i see all these amazing looking backgrounds here, just these depthless colors that make the tank look like the back isn't even there. how do you achieve that look? with my first planted tank, i just spray painted the back black and that seemed to work, but for my most recent project i want white or soft blue, but i want that ethereal bottomless look

something like these

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 04:44 PM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
It's a studio photography trick, not a background.

they surround the tank with a white sheet,
illuminated the sheet from behind,
run a blow dryer along the water to make ripples,
and get water line plants to disperse nicely,
then they take a few dozen photos till they
get the leaves and fish positioned just right.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

well, i'm not ninterested in the scape in that tank. its nice, but not what i want. just the effect of the background. i've seen some similar ones around here though. it looks like people just take a piece of canvas or somesuch and prop it up behind the tank, but not touching the tank, and have a small light shining onto the canvas

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 04:54 PM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
the closest idea I've seen to leaving it that way all the time is to take a thin layer of white styrafoam, lay it against the back of your tank, and leave a florescent light or even a cool to the touch incandescent light mounted low and behind the styrafoam which gives your tank back a dawn/dusk look.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

well, the tank i want to do this to, i already have painted the background white...i wonder if i could just take a small colored bulb and set it behind the tank?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode