Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
IME, guppies.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 03:47 AM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
all livebearers are easy to breed,
guppies are simply more prolific.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 04:11 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spypet View Post
all livebearers are easy to breed,
guppies are simply more prolific.
What is easy I say? I believe they both are pretty easy without exception.
and,
Some things to consider.

Male Guppies only need breed once every 8-9 months to keep a livebearing female prego.
Male Platy's only need breed once every 6-8 months to keep a female prego.

Guppies give birth to around 75-100 for a large female per month. Huge fems can give birth to upwards of 150+ FPM.
Platy's give birth to around 30-75 FPM for normal fems and Huge fems around 100+ FPM.

Guppy fems give birth every 25-30 days.
Platy fems give birth every 28-32 days.

This is inclusive to SB's also so the mort rate is added in there.

Normal guppies live about 2-3 years for most people exceptional lives at around 5 years.
Normal Platy's live about 3-4 years for most people exceptional lives at around 6 years+.

This data is from my own 7 years of breeding all livebearers commonly found in LFS and online purchases.

Of course there are always exceptions to every base. I happen to enjoy them more than most other fishes and so kept very complete records back in the days I kept them.

GD
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 04:24 AM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactic Doug View Post
Of course there are always exceptions to every base.
I suppose Endler's would be that exception.
young females shoot out a 1-3 fry per Month
older females birth around a dozen at a time,
and they only live around 21 Months, while
Endler's are FAR more active than guppys.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spypet View Post
I suppose Endler's would be that exception.
young females shoot out a 1-3 fry per Month
older females birth around a dozen at a time,
and they only live around 18 Months, but
Endler's are FAR more active than guppys.
True!
I was hoping someone else here knew something about those.

Although I sometimes think of them as Guppies anyways just because of their interbreeding with them...

GD
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 08:06 PM
Algae Grower

I have found they're both easier, but the platy babies are hartier. Just my opinion.

55 Gallon
4 WPG
Eheim 2213 - ONLY filter floss
Eheim 2215 - Biological
CO2 Injection
Yamato Green Fertilizer
Flourite Substrate
Flourish Tabs in Substrate

This is the
I bought that helped my back!

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 11:24 PM

Endlers are very similar to guppies genetically, but behave differently. When breeding, the male Endler fish waits until it has permission from the female while guppy males are prone to sneaking in without permission. So, geographic isolation from guppies was needed in order for Endlers to remain distinct.

This was from the research article that classified them as Poecilia wingei and is available from http://endlersr.us/
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 03:10 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Any of the xiphophrous are easy to breed. Just put at least several females per male and you will have fry. Any less females and you will have problems. Best to avoid more than one male unless you have a big tank. All males do is chase females and fight other males 24-7. The young will feed on what's in the tank, so there's no effort there. The only problem is that mom is usually hungry 24-7 and will eat every one of the fry. Best to seperate them ASAP into another tank.

Andrew, MASI Treasurer

This message is always under construction: 75-gallon tank; 2, Eheim 2026 filters - one twice broken; Tek Light with 4, 54W T5s (6000K) ; Sand on top of 4:1 sand:clay mixture; Milwaukee CO2 controller; PlantGuild vortex CO2 reactor; pH = 6.6, kH=70mg/l, GH=120mg/l; EI; Flourish excel on 50% weekly water change: AGA Member.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 04:17 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
My Platies have babies all the time. I current have maybe 80 born last week in a 10 gallon. And yes there are hardy.
What are you looking to do with these?

10 gallon hospital tank.
29 & 50 gallon - High Tech C02 enriched.
50 gallon Pond - Natural.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 11:30 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I think the key to breeding either one successfully is not keeping them with fish who tend to eat the fry after birth (almost anything, including the parents) and the use of some type of breeding grass--guppy grass, java moss, etc.

Kev.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode