Stem plant growers...you ever tire of them? - The Planted Tank Forum
View Poll Results: How do you NOW view growing stem plants in high light?
Can't get enough of it! 5 18.52%
The end justifies the means 8 29.63%
I'm having second thoughts of having soo many stems 5 18.52%
Been there. Done that. a few stems and mainly slow growers now. 8 29.63%
Never a fast growing stem plant again! 1 3.70%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2004, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Not sure if it is just a phase, but I have been mainly growing in high light and I am starting to dislike the narrow window of when things look right. I'm not talking about the "perfect moment", but rather the time frame where everything generally looks filled in and not overgrown.

I love the color, and I like working on my tank...but I also like it to look GOOD for a decent amount of time....follow me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2004, 03:04 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I like the overgrown look.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2004, 03:55 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Not sure if this is a valid observation, but stem plants in my cool water tank (mostly hygros) seem to be dormant. They look healthy but simply refuse to grow. I think its the temperature...because the lighting and fertilization are pretty decent (3wpg). Note that flourish excel is used in this tank instead of co2 injection.

Anyway, I haven't had any problem with stem plants--I love them (so far). They're a blessing compared to my glosso...*shudder*

^iMp^

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2004, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^iMp^
Anyway, I haven't had any problem with stem plants--I love them (so far). They're a blessing compared to my glosso...*shudder*
What didn't you like about glosso?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2004, 04:48 AM
2la

I've slowly shifted to lower-maintenance plants. Besides the easier upkeep, it makes for a more static aquascape that I can enjoy day in and day out rather than one that's geared for a photoshoot or two. I never thought I'd get rid of my Myriophyllum matogrossense 'Green', but I was getting tired of trimming it.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 01:45 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
AHHH!

So thats why you were so generous with it!!!

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 02:50 AM

Quote:
What didn't you like about glosso?
CO2 injection doesn't work in my tank--too much (necessary) surface agitation. The flourish excel doesn't seem to be cutting it--most of the glosso is covered in BGA and isn't growing at all. One little patch is doing well...can't figure out why its fairing better than the rest, but it is. *shrug*

I think I'd love glosso...if I could grow it.

^iMp^
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 03:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I have stems in a really small tank, the colors are incredible, the tank is beautiful. Have to carve this tank every 10 days. I don't aquascape it, and still enjoy it a lot.

I have Crypts and Anubias in a slow non-CO2 tank that needs a slight touch-up every couple weeks, or when the Ancistrus rasp a leaf, or if for some other reason a leaf melts. It looks good all the time, almost boring from the standpoint of change- it's so slow you can hardly notice it. I only do anything major every 6 months so far. If it weren't so difficult to come across some of the crypts, I could see myself shifting to this down the road for all my tanks. I have heard others who have been in the hobby a long time talk about coming around to crypts eventually, rather than always going for the new "stem of the week". I'm too new to be like that yet- it's going to be a while before stems are out of my system. Just got ~15 more this week. I'll keep the scissors sharp

The choices for this poll almost read like a progression from new aquarist to old.

James
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 04:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
CO2 injection would work ^iMp^ if you have a pressurized system and a good reactor. You might go though a lot of CO2 but it will work.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 10:08 AM

Well, I can't afford a pressurized system at the moment. Maybe I can convince my wife to get one for my birthday, but thats pretty far off. Still, I'm not sure its worth it--I have a waterfall, sump (with trickle), and mucho surface agitation in the tank. Further, it has a low water volume for the amount of surface area (its a paludarium with shallow water).

The glosso I got was cruddy--I'm pretty sure it was emersed growth. It still looks like the emersed growth. I'm hoping its just going through a very slow transition phase and it'll snap out of it any day now. We'll see...but its been well over a month now.

Viva la stem plants!

^iMp^
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 02:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
I have never grown Glosso. But the common wisdom is that without CO2 it's a losing battle.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 02:32 PM
Planted Member

Send a message via MSN to cousin it
I've tried glosso in tanks with no additional co2 and the growth was very poor to the point that it was removed quite quickly.
under high light (5wpg T5) and co2 levels of 30mg/l it grows fantastically its quite a sight to see it pearling madly during the evening.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 06:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I love both crypts and stem plants.....so where does that put me in the spectrum? I think part of it also comes down to how many tanks you have. I currently have 4, one is highlight co2 injected and the rest are around 2wpg without co2. Only the one is high maintenance, but I love the colors. I grow stems in all the others also, but have crypts and anubias in all of them as well.

George

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 03:10 AM

I like stem plants, but they're just not working in a 20g long - way too shallow.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode