Suggestion on Aquascaping - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
Post Suggestion on Aquascaping

Any suggestion, advise & comment greatly appreciated.

Just added 2x2 Flame moss & 4tem of Red Ludwigia (not pictured). I will probably be getting rid of most of the Amazon Sword. Maybe Swap N Shop . Thanks in advance to all input.

55G Planted Freshwater
4-Blood Parrot,5-Spotted & 2-Albino Cory,
8-Ottos,3-SAE
A.Sword,J.Fern,A.Nana,Vals,B.Pennyworth,R.Ludwigia ,R.Indica,Flame&JavaMoss,Bacopa
Emperor 400,Filstar XP3,200W Heater,Rena 400 Pump
Coralife 4-65W 6700K ,Tubo Twist 9W UV
5LB Pressurized CO2 System w/ SMS122 PH Controller
FILSTAR PIMP #104
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 02:20 AM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
basically you are where everyone goes when making the transition from low light to high tech, so get rid of ALL the swords (maybe the pet shop will take them for in house credit) and start collecting plant samples from members here on PTF. You might want to ditch the biowheel as that keeps out-gassing your Co2. Your XP3 can handle a 55gal by itself as long as you don't overfeed your tank. good luck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 02:23 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (31/100%)
If you're getting rid of the Amazon Sword , that doesn't leave much. You could do anything with it. You might try looking on the AGA contest site: http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2006.cgi and find scapes that you like to help plan yours.

Just a thought, be careful about not kicking up the nitrates when you pull up all that Amazon Sword.

Kathy

"We are living on this planet as if we have another one to go to". T. Swearingen

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by spypet View Post
basically you are where everyone goes when making the transition from low light to high tech, so get rid of ALL the swords (maybe the pet shop will take them for in house credit) and start collecting plant samples from members here on PTF. You might want to ditch the biowheel as that keeps out-gassing your Co2. Your XP3 can handle a 55gal by itself as long as you don't overfeed your tank. good luck
I'm not planning to get rid of ALL the Amazons. And if you don't mind me asking, why would I get rid of ALL? Thanks.

55G Planted Freshwater
8-Ottos,3-SAE
A.Sword,J.Fern,A.Nana,Vals,B.Pennyworth,R.Ludwigia ,R.Indica,Flame&JavaMoss,Bacopa
FILSTAR PIMP #104
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 02:32 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I personally don't think you should get rid of all. They're beautiful in contrast with the color of the parrot fish.

Kathy

"We are living on this planet as if we have another one to go to". T. Swearingen
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDahlin View Post
I personally don't think you should get rid of all. They're beautiful in contrast with the color of the parrot fish.
Thanks, KDahlin. Im keeping probaby 3 of them. And all of the Amazon came from only 1 Mother Plant.

55G Planted Freshwater
8-Ottos,3-SAE
FILSTAR PIMP #104
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 02:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
I'm not sure you appreciate how large an Amazon sword can get.

A 55 has precious little depth (only 12"), most of which will be consumed by your forest of swordplants.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 02:47 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have two in my 55 gallon. They can stay compact; you pull off the outlying leaves.

Kathy

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 03:01 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbelvedere View Post
I'm not sure you appreciate how large an Amazon sword can get.

A 55 has precious little depth (only 12"), most of which will be consumed by your forest of swordplants.
It's more than 12". It's almost 18" high and 15" deep.

Kathy

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 04:11 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'm in the process of eliminating swords as well. They are great to start with but they will outgrow your tank. I just sold my amazon sword that was over 2 feet tall and I still have my ruffled sword that its now about 3 feet tall. My 45g tank is 24" high and all the flower stems are coming out of the tank and leaves are floating on top blocking light. I want more exotic plants plus nice foreground cover that I'm having hard time establishing due to blocked light. What you do is totaly up to you of course but be aware that they grow extremely large.

My tank 45g tall
http://home.comcast.net/~marek313/index.htm
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 01:26 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (63/100%)
Send a message via MSN to PRESTON4479
I have an amazon sword that has been in my 55g for about a year now and it is growing out of the top of the tank. It has leaves on it that are larger than my hands. I end up having to cut a few off here and there because they block alot of light and it steady puts more new leaves out. I couldn't imagine more than two of these plants full grown in a 55g.

Brian

Equipment: 55g, 3x 9watt tt uv, 2-xp3's, pressurized co2, inline co2 reactor, 216 watt catalina t5 fixture, milwaukee ph controller, 300 watt hydor inline heater, aqua soil
Filstar Pimp #100

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode