? re: Plantlets on fern leaves - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
? re: Plantlets on fern leaves

My java fern leaves are covered in plantlets. I understand that I will ultimately have to pluck them out and grow them out. My question is:

1. At what point do I pull the new plants out?

2. How do I take care of the new ones?

My current ferns are tied or wedged into driftwood. These new plantlets will be too small to attach to rocks/wood.

Thanks.

arnie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 11:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
You don't have to trim them. If you do it can be done at anytime. You can plant the plantlet in the substrate to propigate it.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 08:58 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hmmm, I thought Java fern didn't like being planted in the substrate. Anyway, I have the same thing going on in my tank. In the past I just waited and the plantlets came loose eventually and I'd find them floating around the tank

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygills View Post
Hmmm, I thought Java fern didn't like being planted in the substrate. Anyway, I have the same thing going on in my tank. In the past I just waited and the plantlets came loose eventually and I'd find them floating around the tank
Agreed!

To: Arndogg,
Java Fern will not do as well when planted in the sub. Just wait until the little ones are about 3-4 leaves that are 3"-4" long then they should have some good root growth to get there own nutrients from the water column. You can attach the plantlettes to some wood pieces or small rocks with cotton thread wrapped around the rock/wood/"plant base" (called a rhizome). 3-4 passes with thread is fine and should fall off about the time that the plant has attached itself to the chosen wood or rock.

Also crushing and sprinkling some fert tabs on the fern roots will help them grow faster with good lighting.

GD
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 01:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
You also could try my patented staple trick. Using a staple gun, shoot a few staples into your driftwood (lightly, so they don't go in all the way), then slide the rhizomes under and gently tap down the staple being careful not to crush the rhizome. Before too long they will rust over (NO it doesn't harm your water - I've have 50+ staples in my tank with no ill effect). The rust makes it so you can't even seem them.

If you ever do a corkboard wall, staples work MAGIC. You can just push them in with your fingers and the moss or ferns will stick. After awhile just tug them out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenThePlantGeek View Post
You also could try my patented staple trick. Using a staple gun, shoot a few staples into your driftwood (lightly, so they don't go in all the way), then slide the rhizomes under and gently tap down the staple being careful not to crush the rhizome. Before too long they will rust over (NO it doesn't harm your water - I've have 50+ staples in my tank with no ill effect). The rust makes it so you can't even seem them.

If you ever do a corkboard wall, staples work MAGIC. You can just push them in with your fingers and the moss or ferns will stick. After awhile just tug them out.
Sounds like a "Tight" fit for the rhizome if done incorrectly, and would not the staples dissolve in water? Rusty stuff in my aquarium, I'm not to sure about.

I take it you've done this and had not problems with fish dying or being continually ill from the rusty staples?

GD
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 01:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
Quote:
I take it you've done this and had not problems with fish dying or being continually ill from the rusty staples?
I wouldn't have suggested it otherwise. I'm not sure if there are staples out there that WOULD hurt, but I was using standard staple gun staples and they were just fine. I've also used regular office staples on the cork.

I'm not saying that it 100% doesn't touch your water chemistry, most likely it does in some small way BUT, if it does then I've never seen it adversely effect a tank (meaning I've been lucky and haven't had any mystery problems or algae with stapled tanks, even ones as small as 3 gallons). I haven't used staples in invert tanks though, not sure if they'd be sensitive to any extra metals that might be there.

And yes, you can crush the rhizome if you're not careful or if you try to staple directly over the rhizome. I normally do a few testers to see just how far the gun punches the staple in and if it is close I just slip the rhizome under. Thread the roots and then tug it through, or thread a leaf through so you have a couple leaves on either side of the staple (works well for baby plants).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 02:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jhoetzl
Jen - I am surprised you let everyone in on your secret means of delivering iron to the roots of your plants

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
thanks everyone.

I might just try the staple idea, once the rhizomes are larger.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 04:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
You could use a phillips head screwdriver to make the space for the staple. Then pull it out, then insert the rhizome. No crushing.

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazcrash69 View Post
You could use a phillips head screwdriver to make the space for the staple. Then pull it out, then insert the rhizome. No crushing.
This has me confused? Lets see if I get this idea. Stick the Wood with the screwdriver deep enough to insert the plants rhizome to hold it there but leave out the staple right? That sounds like the best method of all!

How about for longer rhizomes maybe use a 1"-2" wide scraper/putty knife or the like?

GD
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 02:11 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
I think he means to shoot the staple as if you are trying to staple the screwdriver to the wood. Then pull the driver out which will leave a gap between the staple and wood to thread the plant roots thru.
Gene
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 03:27 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
Super glue leaves ugly white patches, which of course get covered as the plants grow. Works great otherwise.

The staple method does sound like a good one, maybe I'll try it one day if I'm out of glue
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 06:57 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minsc View Post
Super glue leaves ugly white patches, which of course get covered as the plants grow. Works great otherwise.

The staple method does sound like a good one, maybe I'll try it one day if I'm out of glue
Don't have staple gun, but have super glue. I'll stick. Stucked.

If you have a choice, you have a problem, till you elect your choice. No choice, no problem, only consequences, learn to live with them.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 04:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to dufus
Hmm, i find rubber bands and or thread work great, and there are NO questionable outcomes.
i believ staples may have enough copper or trace metals to kill shrimp, maybe not though.

-Devin-
Steve irwin- a father, a hero, a memory now. -We'll miss you mate

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode