How much did you pay? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
How much did you pay?

4 days ago I tore down my 20gal high guppy tank at my moms and transported it to my own house. All the guppies went to my godmother as well as a whole bunch of plants because the tank was a jungle that you couldnt see through.. funny enough it was all java fern and moss. So I looked everywhere for flourite or eco. Our ONLY petshop doesnt carry that stuff anymore. Instead they carry geosystem gravel which is a buffer substrate... not what i wanted. So i went on vacation and visited every pet shop along the way...4. None have even heard of the eco or flourite. GRRRR. Ordering it was out of the question because my plants were in a bucket and i needed substrate fast so i bought inert black gravel at $28 a bag (2 bags). You have no idea how hard it was to find black gravel instead of clown puke... natural is difficult to find too. So anyway i want in my tank 4 peppered corydoras and 15 harlequin rasbora. I picked up my corys which were $2.47 each at Wall**** (shame ) instead of buying the peppered corys at the lfs which were $6 something each. I also checked out the price for the harlequins at the lfs which are $6.17 each! SHEESH! How much do you guys/gals pay for them normally?
I was reading on one of these threads about petland which is my lfs and that tuesday evenings any fish under $10 was 50% or something like that. So now im wondering if that applies to the petland here. If so then i wonder if i can get a furthur discount being a club pet member If it doesnt exist then if you buy 6 or more fish it is 20% off regularely for club pet members.
So tell me are these prices crazy or is it just me? The last time i bought tropical fish; before the guppies, was approximately 3 years ago and i dont remember them being this expensive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 08:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
harlequins usually run just under $3 USD in my area.
Roswell, GA just north of atlanta.

i've only been to one place that had eco-complete (petland).
i've seen flourite at petsmart before.

i used to live in athens, ga and the petland there sold their eco for $22 a bag; which i thought was very reasonable and have purchased from there before.

the petland where i live now charges $30 a bag. i've got a 20 long sitting in my living room waiting to be set up but i'm trying to find a better bang for my buck.
i dont mind paying money, but i mind overpaying. so i'll keep looking till i find a good deal.

Eheim Pimp Club #190

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skabooya View Post
The last time i bought tropical fish; before the guppies, was approximately 3 years ago and i dont remember them being this expensive.
Just a side note here... During the last few years things have been jumping up in prices in almost every store I have seen (about 20 throughout Oregon USA) so I guess things are just the same for you over in Canada too?

Not sure what US $ for $6.17 Canadian (for each of the Halequins) would be, but its seems kinda high...

GD

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 09:23 PM

I got my harlequins at $5 USD for 3.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 12:25 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Prices here in Canada can be insane at times. I have both Freshwater planted and a Saltwater reef. Sometimes I fine even the freshwater to be as costly as saltwater. Some areas are better for buying equipment and others are like shopping for gold in a silver shop. The area I live in is the pits for both salt and freshwater.The LFS have very little if any knowledge on planted tanks or reef tanks. If I want good stuff and people that know what they are talking about I must travel 3 hours each way, or mail order.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yea no kidding. When i set up my 58 gal tank im going to have to order in my plants and substrate because the ones i want are not supplied to our only lfs. The next nearest petstore is about 7 hours away from where i live and its almost a sure thing that they wont have what i want. And yes Canadian prices are nuts and they are always changing for pet stores. I can go in and buy neon tetras for 99 cents one month and the next month they will be $2 each. I will try and find a conversion for Canadian to US dollars for the price of the harlequins. brb
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Its about 5.69 each US
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 11:23 AM
Algae Grower

Wow went to LFS last night and harlequin rasboras were on sale 5 for $5 I think I will get me some. I guess I sould mention the store was bought out by Petmart so I think they are just trying to get rid of the stock they have.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 05:46 PM
Algae Grower

I paid $33 for nine of them. Very pretty and active fish, I think I will buy more when I get paid again.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 07:43 PM

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skabooya View Post
I was reading on one of these threads about petland which is my lfs and that tuesday evenings any fish under $10 was 50% or something like that. So now im wondering if that applies to the petland here. If so then i wonder if i can get a furthur discount being a club pet member
At my local Petland you have to be a member to get the 50% off, but I think it pays for itself real quick if you actually buy fish there from time to time. Ive got thier lifetime membership as well as my local Aquarium Adventure, both have paid for themselves pretty quick and been saving me money for a good year or so now. Of course once your stocked your fish buying slows down a bit, so you dont get to use those discounts that often.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode