Setting up new 20 gallon--need advice! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (14/100%)
Setting up new 20 gallon--need advice!

Last fall, I setup a low-maintenance moss tank in my old apt. I ended up moving the another building and when I relocated I never set it back up. This is what I have now:

20g standard tank
Eco-complete substrate
Visitherm heater
HOT Magnum filter
Coralife Aqualight T-5 2x14W (Colormax/6700K)
Coralife Aqualight 65W (6700K)

I do have some nano CO2 diffusers coming in and I plan on creating a DIY CO2 with a plastic bottle and teeing it off to two of the diffusers (one on each side of the tank).

I created this sketch. The problem is that I don't really have any experience with aquarium aquatics--only water gardens and ponds.

0 = HC
1 = Blyxa japonica
2 = Hemiathus micranthemoides
3 = Rotala sp. 'Araguaia'
4 = Anubia barteri var. nana petite
5 = Dwarf saggitaria
6 = Rotala sp. 'green'
7 = Downoi
8 = Rotala sp. 'colorata'
9 = Echinodonis tenellus
10 = Didiplis diandra
11 = Rotala sp. 'rotundifolia'
12 = Rotala sp. 'nanjenshan'

What do you think?

Last edited by enzo; 05-24-2007 at 01:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 03:10 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzo View Post
The problem is that I don't really have any experience with aquarium aquatics--only water gardens and ponds.

What do you think?
Well it looks kinda crowded for a 20 high, but other than that the setup looks good!

My only other concern here would be in that you say you've never had "Aquarium Aquatics" experience? If so I would stick to plants whose needs can be met fairly easily until you've had your feet wet some.(see list below) This might seem like a small detail, but you would not believe how many people I have met that try the 12' end of the pool first, only to find themselves WAY in over their heads.

Granted there is a really great place with lots of helpful people who will gladly answer all your timely question ASAP! PlantedTank.com is that place. Just be sure to post your complete stats with your questions when you need help later on and then people will find it easier to help you out.

List
(I would suggest these in red ink for starters, blue maybe later if your tank does well with the first run):
0 = HC
1 = Blyxa japonica ((Does well for some))
3 = Vallisneria sp. 'contortionist'
4 = Anubia barteri var. nana petite ((slow growing so get later))
5 = Eleocharis acicularis
6 = Rotala sp. 'green'
7 = Downoi ((Never had this one unfortunately))
9 = Echinodonis tenellus
13 = Rotala sp. 'nanjenshan'
15 = Rotala sp. 'araguaia'
16 = Dwarf saggitaria
Plus you could add some of the Aponogetons like Crispus or Ulvaceus for center plants that grow very well if bought with leaves intact, and almost all of the anubias later on when the tank is settled in some. Use the fast growers like Valisneria to get things rolling then remove then and fill in with your "Rotala" SP for the effect you want.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 03:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (44/100%)
I also think you will have to pair down your species list. If I am doing the math correctly the island on the right is only 8"x6". I think you will end up being too crowded, and when the plants like the vals and hairgrass start throwing runners you're going to have so much work on your hands to keep it all separate.
However- when you set up the tank, there is a good chance that not all the species will make it the first time you try, so go for it and see what happens. Just one more thing. Blyxa gets big, you may not want it on the front of that right side island. It will hide your nana petite and hairgrass behind it.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the comments. I took out some of the plants. For the rotalas, I purchased them some days ago and I got a note in my apt mailbox that they are here so i'm hoping that I don't kill them!

I also made a note of those plants that aren't for beginners and I'll add them later on once i get some experience

My nano CO2 diffusers also came in too so i'll set that up tomorrow! Thanks for your help so far!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Some plants came in today. Now that I planted them, I readjusted the sketch again so its realistic...

0 = HC
1 = Blyxa japonica
3 = Rotala sp. 'Araguaia'
4 = Anubia barteri var. nana petite
5 = Rotala sp. 'nanjenshan'
6 = Rotala sp. 'green'
7 = Downoi
8 = Rotala sp. 'colorata'
9 = Echinodonis tenellus
10 = Didiplis diandra

I also managed to get the DIY co2 setup. I used a 2 liter and jello and yeast and I connected it to a throttler and a tee, then from there off to the two CO2 nano diffusers.

Is is possible to over CO2? I mean I won't be adding fish for several weeks but I have the plastic throttle on fully open so its blasting CO2 into the water. I can see the bubbles before they hit the diffuser disc and its at a rate of about 3 bubbles per second

Photos:

Sorry about the washed out look of the photos, looks exactly like that in person. I'll have to look into getting some nicer bulbs later on.

I know i need a background--will likely go with black poster board. As for the equipment, the tank is positioned in a corner facing the entrance of my room so the filter looks odd at the sides.. I figure, once the plants grow in and that with the black background--won't be noticeable..

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode