CRS and RCS farm - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2007, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
BkD
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
CRS and RCS farm

im thinking about setting up a tank to breed both red crystal shrimp and red cherry shrimp. i have a 10g already set up, cycled and ready to go. but will a 10g be too small? what tank size would everyone recommend?

Eheim Pimp #239
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2007, 04:14 PM

PTrader: (22/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BkD View Post
im thinking about setting up a tank to breed both red crystal shrimp and red cherry shrimp. i have a 10g already set up, cycled and ready to go. but will a 10g be too small? what tank size would everyone recommend?
make sure you read a lot about caring for these creatures. They require different water parameters and many other conditions. CRS are fragile and expensive so beware. dont just jump into it if you dont know what youre doing.

I recommend starting with RCS first and gain confidence before you go with CRS.

Good luck!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2007, 04:30 PM
►◊ ◊◄

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via MSN to conduct Send a message via Yahoo to conduct
Quote:
Originally Posted by wood View Post

I recommend starting with RCS first and gain confidence before you go with CRS.

Good luck!
That is where I am at with the 20 gallon all set up for CRS. Start out small and work your way up. RCS start @ around $20 ea. and I sure would not want to buy $200 worth and have them die in just a few days.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2007, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conduct View Post
That is where I am at with the 20 gallon all set up for CRS. Start out small and work your way up. RCS start @ around $20 ea. and I sure would not want to buy $200 worth and have them die in just a few days.
You probably meant CRS but its all good. Easy to transpose these acronyms

Yea I started with RCS (Red Cherry Shrimp) and I am glad that I did. It took me a little bit of time to get the hang of raising dwarf shrimp. Losing a RCS still sucks but does not hit the wallet. Losing a CRS however can hit the wallet real good, let alone losing your entire colony because you werent experienced enough.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2007, 09:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (21/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wood View Post
You probably meant CRS but its all good. Easy to transpose these acronyms

Yea I started with RCS (Red Cherry Shrimp) and I am glad that I did. It took me a little bit of time to get the hang of raising dwarf shrimp. Losing a RCS still sucks but does not hit the wallet. Losing a CRS however can hit the wallet real good, let alone losing your entire colony because you werent experienced enough.
^ +1

Start off the RCS and after you get the hang of it, then switch to CRS if you like. I have both in one tank but it's just for show and not for breeding. I haven't had any CRS babies in it yet, but I only populated it with juvies from my other tank so it'll be a while before they're ready to breed. The water params are geared for the CRS, not the RCS.

If you're doing it for a farm, you'll quickly realize that the RCS are a waste of space, IMO, and you'll want all the space for CRS. By "quickly" I mean within a year as it'll take that long to "fill" a 10g with CRS (we're talking hundreds and hundreds of shrimp here) if you start out with 10 or so and sell a few along the way. Don't get me wrong, I keep both RCS and CRS and like watching them equally, but if you're setting up a tank for breeding, why populate it with $.75 shrimp when they can all be worth more than 4x that much?

All this said, I don't have what I consider a "breeding tank". I just have a tank that has CRS in it in which they've gone gonzo on me and I sell a few here and there. I love keeping tanks as a hobby and I'd hate for it to start feeling like work.

Sol
90gal non-planted - gone - It sprung a leak and shattered
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 neons, lots of RCS, a few CRS, 3 Ottos, oogles of snails

- 100+ CRS, Red Ramshorn Snails

Questions about dosing nano tanks? Please
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
BkD
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
id say from my opinion am a fairly experienced FISH keeper. i keep wild angels in my 55g tank and these guys are a real pain in the butt. im sure crs care and labor would not be much of an issue. i guess i will be setting up a 29g for those guys then. thanks everyone, for the concerns and tips.

Eheim Pimp #239
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 04:49 AM

PTrader: (11/100%)
I wish i could kill off some of my shrimp in the 29..

I probably have 100+ in the filter alone. I've given away over 200 in the past month since I've been trying to thin down my population. I should have been selling them hehe
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 01:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
Quote:
id say from my opinion am a fairly experienced FISH keeper. i keep wild angels in my 55g tank and these guys are a real pain in the butt. im sure crs care and labor would not be much of an issue. i guess i will be setting up a 29g for those guys then. thanks everyone, for the concerns and tips.
CRS can be quite difficult. Especially high grades. Shrimpkeeping is a totally different world than fish.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Ummm, that's what I thought too since I'm an experienced Discus keeper (shrimp and discus in different tanks). Ending up losing 2 batches of CRS . Doing OK with the RCS and trying a 3rd batch (knock on wood) of CRS from another vendor. Look for a source that has similar water parameters that you can provide.

Tina
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 04:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hehe thank goodness I started off with ghost shrimps 25 cents each, and all 4 of them are still fine roaming around my plants
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zergling View Post
Hehe thank goodness I started off with ghost shrimps 25 cents each, and all 4 of them are still fine roaming around my plants
I paid $20 for my 10 cherry shrimp... I've given away over 200.. sold that many more, and god knows how many I've had in my 'shrimp sauce'
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 02:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
I had poor success with shrimp until a few months ago, when I decided to dedicate a 25g tank to an RCS farm. I keep the water stable - only do wc about every 2 weeks, small ones at that. I dose a little fluorish excel for the plants, but that's it. I feed about 1 algae tablet every 3-4 days, so I don't overfeed. They eat algae in there also. Plants are abundant, so plenty of places to hide and explore. I keep the temp in the mid 70s or so. So far, so good. In fact, I went from 10-12 RCS to about 75+ in just about 3 months tops. I actually had so many, I moved about 20 over to my 90g.
One other thing to consider, once they've had a couple broods.....Get a few new shrimp to mix up the gene pool a bit (picture "The hills have eyes" in your fish tank). Other than that, it's really not that bad. CRS on the other hand, I can't comment on that. One thing at a time

90g journal:

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode