Buy manzanita advice - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Buy manzanita advice

I plan to buy some manzanita branches from http://www.manzanita.com, but dont' know what should the order be to best build planted tank. I'm inspired by Jason's tank

So we buy the "stick and staff"?
http://www.manzanita.com/sticks1.htm

Random or appropriate? What's a good total length for a 90G tank?

I assume we don't want the sand blasted version?

Thanks for all the help guys, really appreciated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 08:22 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Go to their website, find the phone number, call them, tell them you're looking for aquarium pieces, and they'll put together a nice package for you.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 08:25 PM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoile View Post
I assume we don't want the sand blasted version?
If your plan is ultimately to cover the wood with moss and anubis, then sand blasted wood may increase plant adhesion and decrease the tannins released by the wood coloring your water.

If your plan is to leave the wood mostly exposed, then keeping the original red bark on will require you to soak the wood first for up to a Month to get the majority of the natural dye out, but it will be worth it as the exposed wood with bark looks a lot more attractive and seems to be more resistant to algae growth than exposed to light sandblasted wood.

if you go with red bark wood, keep it submerged in water as much as possible. once it's exposed to air for a Month, the reddish hue in the bark will be lost forever, and the wood will simply look dark. That's why it's especially good to buy from a reseller with freshly cut inventory.

make sure you have a Pleco in your tank to help keep the wood algae clean.

please do a title search for the many manzanita wood threads that should address most of your concerns.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 05:45 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I just asked for aquarium wood. which is their default? mine hasn't arrived yet, so I'm curious
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 05:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
You can e-mail pictures of some pieces that you like and they'll try to find you pieces that are similar.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 09:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
They have two 'aquarium packages', there's a small ($30) and a large ($70). Rich will include good pieces, I'm extremely happy with my order.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 11:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (83/100%)
What difference is there from the aquarium package and what they already have sandblasted? Wouldn it be cheaper to buy at the price per foot?

+
+
+

Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 03:06 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Aquachromis
This is from the email I received from them when I placed my order.

AQUARIUM WOOD PACKS
Manzanita’s hardness, unique qualities and shapes make it “the choice” for aquarium wood. Our Aquarium packs provide a beautiful collection of sandblasted pieces varying in lengths and diameters. Sandblasted manzanita has a coarse surface texture and a clean, elegant presentation… blondish in color. We also do custom orders, so please contact us for a price quote.
ITEM # SIZEPRICE

AP1 12 pieces* 30.00 (up to 24” long)
AP2 30 pieces* 70.00 (up to 36” long)

*The number of pieces may vary depending on the size of those selected.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 01:25 AM
Wannabe Guru

So do you get 12 at up 24" or all totaling 24"? What is the total length?

+
+
+

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 01:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Give Rich a call. You can send pics of pieces that you like and he'll try to find similar ones for you.

I'm not sure about your question, he's pretty responsive via phone though, so I'd give him a ring to make sure.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 03:06 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Aquachromis
You get 12 pieces with the maximum size per piece of 24". Although I'm pretty sure they sent more than 12 pieces when I place my order. Here's my 40gallon breeder (36"long) with some of the pieces they sent just for reference. I'd say follow epicfish's advice and give them a call. They're friendly and a pleasure to do business with. I liked my first order so much I placed a second order last week for my new 55.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 11:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

Awesome Thanks. Thats a good deal.

+
+
+

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 11:14 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
I placed my order and got it pretty fast. The branches look great.

One thing I've noticed as I've been soaking them ..... they seem to be a bit slimy .... has this happened to anyone else?

Dan

20 Gallon High
A H 55 Watt 6700 k Bulb
EHEIM 2215
50 Watt Heater
Hagen ladder - DIY 2 liter
Eco complete(2 bag)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode