How to push the growth "envelope" - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (11/100%)
How to push the growth "envelope"

I'd like to push the so called envelope on growth with my 75G. I'm waiting on a CO2 reactor to come from rex, to replace the nifty hagen ladder. But after thats in place, I think i have all of the equipment.

Right now it will be
pressurized CO2, from the inline reactor.
4x65w 10,000k compact flourecent bulbs
1x 40w 6500k T12 bulb. === 300w of lighting, or 4wpg.
Filtsar XP3 filter (I think its a bit oversized for a 75g, no?)

I stock greg watson fertz and generally do a half ass job of adding them at water change time.

As for water changes, I will be doing 15 gallons, twice a week.

Album is here: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ph...o-journal.html

I'd like to see some high growth from the hairgrass in particular-- I'd like that right area to be a putting green of sorts... The rest.. I honestly have no clue what i want to put in there, so suggestions would be nice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 06:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
Send a message via MSN to RachPreach
i would only do 1 water change a week, maybe 40%. As for fertilizing, you need to follow the EI dosing guide in the forum for your tank size. You will see improved growth if you are consistent with fertilizing, especially with that amount of lighting.

100g tank:10 small angelfish, 1 harlequin rasbora, 2 albino cory, 2 clown loach, 1 rubberlip pleco, 1 bristlenose pleco and 1 apisto borellis.
Rena Filstar xp3, 2x32 and 1x96 watts with no co2.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

well one of my questions is, is my equipment balanced and adequate for the tank?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 07:15 PM

PTrader: (70/99%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
I'd like to push the so called envelope on growth with my 75G. I'm waiting on a CO2 reactor to come from rex, to replace the nifty hagen ladder. But after thats in place, I think i have all of the equipment.

Right now it will be
pressurized CO2, from the inline reactor.
4x65w 10,000k compact flourecent bulbs
1x 40w 6500k T12 bulb. === 300w of lighting, or 4wpg.
Filtsar XP3 filter (I think its a bit oversized for a 75g, no?)

I stock greg watson fertz and generally do a half ass job of adding them at water change time.

As for water changes, I will be doing 15 gallons, twice a week.

Album is here: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ph...o-journal.html

I'd like to see some high growth from the hairgrass in particular-- I'd like that right area to be a putting green of sorts... The rest.. I honestly have no clue what i want to put in there, so suggestions would be nice
I have an XP3 on a 75 gal that is stuffed full of plants. It would not be enough filtration and circulation by itself. I also have wet sump with magdrive 9.5 on the return and a powerhead for added circulation. You will be running about the same amount of light I run over my 75gal and I have to dose macros everyother day. 1tsp of N, 1/4 tsp of K, and 2ml of P. TE I dose on the days I do not dose macros, 20ml of Flourish and 1/8tsp CSM-B. I change about 85-95% of the water one day week. Photo period is the full 330 watts for 7.5 hours. CO2 30-40ppm. Below is a link to some pics of my 75 gal and some other stuff to give you some idea of what you are looking at doing. I often have to trim this tank multiple times per a week. I give away, throw away, and sell plants from it every week.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ph...-big-pics.html
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 07:20 PM

PTrader: (5/100%)
I have the exact same filter and lights as you on my 75g. I took the 40w off because it was blocking just enough of the 4x65 (on legs) to keep my stems in the back under less light than I wanted.

I am using the spray bar with my XP3 and I need to add a small powerhead to circulate the other half of the tank. At this point there is a lot of debris gathering in the corner. My dwarf hairgrass is really taking off but I am using Aquasoil, it wasn't growing nearly as fast in Eco Complete.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by argblarg View Post
I have the exact same filter and lights as you on my 75g. I took the 40w off because it was blocking just enough of the 4x65 (on legs) to keep my stems in the back under less light than I wanted.

I am using the spray bar with my XP3 and I need to add a small powerhead to circulate the other half of the tank. At this point there is a lot of debris gathering in the corner. My dwarf hairgrass is really taking off but I am using Aquasoil, it wasn't growing nearly as fast in Eco Complete.
One thing I forgot to mention is the substrate!

40lbs of Shultz Aquatic Soil with 4 seachem root tabs placed underneath the hairgrass growth area, 2 behind the driftwood, and 6 spread out under the left grow out area.

As for the lights, I keep the 40w in the front of the tank now.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 08:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
Send a message via MSN to RachPreach
i have an xp3 on my 100 gallon tank and its enough filtration for me...

100g tank:10 small angelfish, 1 harlequin rasbora, 2 albino cory, 2 clown loach, 1 rubberlip pleco, 1 bristlenose pleco and 1 apisto borellis.
Rena Filstar xp3, 2x32 and 1x96 watts with no co2.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 02:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
You don't really need the 40w tube. Growth will be fast regardless.

XP3 is fine. I'd add another canister purely for equipment and circulation purposes (example: Co2 reactor, inline heater, UV, etc.).

15 gallons twice a week isn't a lot of changed water. It would be better to do a single 30 gallon change. If it was my tank, it would be a 40 gallon change once a week.

If you want to max out growth don't be stingy of forgetful with the nutrients.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode