Help Me, Might Be In Emergency - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help Me, Might Be In Emergency

Today I realized the cross brace on my 36"long by 24" High and 10" wide. It spilt on one side. i noticed a slight, very slight bowing of only the front panel. Please any help or advice, please! I dont want about 43 gallons on my floor, upstairs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 12:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)
hmmm. Not a huge problem, and is fixable with a little know how and elow grease.

Why don't we start with a picture of the damage.

Also, if completly paranoid that the glass is going to come flying out...you can drop your water level a bit to decrease some of the pressure on the glass.

If you happen to have any kind of woodworking clamp (like a quick grip), you can use these to give it just a little more stability in the middle. (these will also come in handy if you need to make a repair).

But the picture is the start!!

You'll be fine...will walk you through this sucker.

(FWIW...I just did this exact repair a week ago on a 50 gallon)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 12:55 AM Thread Starter

please I would like to know how! Here is an image.

[IMG][/IMG]

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 01:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Wow...thats a big break. Ok...looks like your only real option here is to cut it out competly and make a repair piece.

I am going to find you a link to a guy who just did one. i can walk you through this, but this guy had full color renderings...was pretty sweet.

Let me find the link and i will post it up. we will go from there.

the biggest thing here...It seems to have cracked along the seem right at the molding joint on the glass. This is going to be tricky to mend. Is there any "meat" left where it broke? Or is there nothing? See if you can post a picture of the molding where it broke off from.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 01:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...e-acrylic.html

we may need to modify this a bit depending on what you have on the side where it broke off from.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 01:20 AM Thread Starter

It doesnt have any meat to grip on frame. I took about 30-40% of water out bowing got lessened! But I cannot run my filter, only my heater and im now adding an air pump and bubble diffuser. too bad this happened today not yesterday since today I got two new fish. Doh!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 01:21 AM Thread Starter

I saw it when I was uncovering the top to insert the new fish.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 01:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Well...is there any way to get the filter working? this is not a quick fix and will take a bit of time. First off did you see that link I posted above?

This is bascially what we need to attempt, but since you have nothing to patch too, we are going to have to modify this a bit...I need to think about this for a little bit.

The lip that your frame sits on...what is the length of that? perhaps we could use that if its got enough...

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 01:35 AM Thread Starter

I believe that I am going to move the livestock to a new plastic garbage can and swap out tanks with a new one, since I wouldnt be able to Sleep at night... Thanks for the link, I would attempt it but I wouldnt be confidident in it. Thank you
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 01:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

lol...no problem. Sorry i couldn't help you. Best of luck to you then! Hope the new fish hold up for ya!

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 01:54 AM Thread Starter

It IS only 2 large new cichlids, and 5 baby cichilds. It isnt too populated, so this wont be too much of a problem only a pain. Thanks for all the quick help, now I can breath again.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 04:11 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
You can buy a replacement ring from your LFS for $20.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

My lfs doesnt carry them in stock, maybe they will ship one. How would I replace the ring?
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 01:20 AM
Algae Grower

Same thing happened to me about 7 weeks ago. I ended up replacing my tank. It took me a week to replace it, so in the meantime, I drained to to 60%, and it was OK for the week.

55 Gallon
4 WPG
Eheim 2213 - ONLY filter floss
Eheim 2215 - Biological
CO2 Injection
Yamato Green Fertilizer
Flourite Substrate
Flourish Tabs in Substrate

This is the
I bought that helped my back!

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 01:39 AM

the same thing happened to my 45, but i think someone actually tried to lift it using the center brace. i bought the tank used and it was already broken. i took some 50lb picture hanging hooks, and 50lb picture hanging wire, i cut off a part of the hook and bent it so that they would hook over the rim of my tank, then connected them with the wire and doubled it back, and twisted it up. before it was filled with water, the wire actually pulled the walls in 1/8", now that its full, it only bows out 1/8" which is totally normal. all tanks bow slightly.

use at your own risk, lol

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode