Best way to clean tank filled with sticky algae. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Best way to clean tank filled with sticky algae.

Hi Everyone,

I've been neglecting my tank for the past 2 years, basically I just change water and feed the fish, and occasionally clean the filter. So now as the result of that, my tank is filled with algae on the side of the glass. So to start over, I need to clean the tank.

Any recommendation on how is the best way to do this, I've tried just cleaning the algae with mag float and it can only remove 1/2 of the algae.

Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 07:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Get an algae scraper. Basically a blade on a handle. It looks like an ice scraper...but I don't imagine you've had to use one, considering you're in OC, CA. LOL.

They're about ~$20 at LFS...or you can get a better magnet algae cleaner. Hammerhead ones are very nice, but pricey. $60 each!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 07:56 PM

PTrader: (22/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoile View Post
Hi Everyone,

I've been neglecting my tank for the past 2 years, basically I just change water and feed the fish, and occasionally clean the filter. So now as the result of that, my tank is filled with algae on the side of the glass. So to start over, I need to clean the tank.

Any recommendation on how is the best way to do this, I've tried just cleaning the algae with mag float and it can only remove 1/2 of the algae.

Thanks.
Like he said, get an algae scraper. Scrape all of the algae off of the glass and trim any plants that have the algae. After you finish scraping and trimming your water should be real green from the floating algae. Do a real good water change with a hose and manually suck up all the big floating pieces of algae. Change about 50% of the water, maybe more...

Also please post your tank parameters and dosing regiment because I suspect you either aren't dosing enough ferts, injecting enough CO2, overfeeding, too much light, etc.

-Ryan

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Thanks all for the reply.

Yeah the tank is kinda a mess now, no dose, no co2, just the light, which I think I left on too long each day (~12 hrs), I don't have a timer that's why . All my plants died, except for the java fern, which is now jungle taken 1/2 of the tank.

I'm getting the algae blade then and start cleaning, probaly buy a new magnetic cleaner also. Oh this is an all glass 75E tank btw.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 08:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 08:29 PM

PTrader: (22/100%)
Quote:
Thanks all for the reply.

Yeah the tank is kinda a mess now, no dose, no co2, just the light, which I think I left on too long each day (~12 hrs), I don't have a timer that's why . All my plants died, except for the java fern, which is now jungle taken 1/2 of the tank.

I'm getting the algae blade then and start cleaning, probaly buy a new magnetic cleaner also. Oh this is an all glass 75E tank btw.
No ferts, no plants, no co2, lots of light for long period = Algae
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 01:32 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Great little algae scraper I discovered is an old, used, Credit Card or Other such card (Library, Bank, Gas). The kind that bend a little work best and you can use them without scratching anything!

or- Leave the algae alone and just bleach the tank with about a cup of bleach and warm water from tap (not hot will crack the glass). After the bleaching just wash VERY THUROUGHLY! with plenty of water until every inch "Squeeks".

Doug
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 09:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Don't use bleach with any fish it it! You can also use a rasor blade if careful.
I use a Mag-Float but it still scratches the glass. Kept it real clean but still can notice small scratches.

10 gallon hospital tank.
29 & 50 gallon - High Tech C02 enriched.
50 gallon Pond - Natural.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetee View Post
Don't use bleach with any fish it it! You can also use a rasor blade if careful.
I use a Mag-Float but it still scratches the glass. Kept it real clean but still can notice small scratches.
Agreed nothing in the tank while using bleach: I just assumed that most people know not to use bleach in any amount in an aquarium that is set up since it will kill the fish, plants, and every other living thing in the tank.

I do not use razor blades because they still scratch if they have any dents or rough edges on the cutting edge, or are just plain used incorrectly (by twisting them while moving them across the surface of the glass). Plus using a razor can cut away the silicone. The Credit Card I mentioned above will not do this at all unless you REALLY press hard.

Doug
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 09:58 PM

insted of buying an algae cleaner, get a back of replacement heads for like a gillete razor, and remove the little corner shaped blades, just lie theese flat on the surface and use your thumb on the blunt corner to scrape

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode