recomendataion on a water cooler? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (11/100%)
recomendataion on a water cooler?

Anyone have a good recomendation for a water cooler for under $300 for a $75gal?

My freeking water temp is hoovering at ~78-83
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 12:57 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I don't have any recommendations for water coolers, but have you tried other ways of cooling the water before you put down the cash for a water cooler? Do you have a cover over your tank? You could take off the cover, this can lower the temp by a few degrees. You could rig some computer case fans over the surface of the water to aid in evaporation.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonp11 View Post
I don't have any recommendations for water coolers, but have you tried other ways of cooling the water before you put down the cash for a water cooler? Do you have a cover over your tank? You could take off the cover, this can lower the temp by a few degrees. You could rig some computer case fans over the surface of the water to aid in evaporation.
Unfortunatly, I live in Denver, CO.. and its quite dry here. Humidity in the single digits to teens frequently throughout the summer. I can do what you suggested -- But I'd be filling up 5 gallons a day of water

The lights are fairly close to the water, I'm assuming thats my problem. if I raise them up another 2" and put a clip on fan that blows over it -- I wonder how much of a temp reduction that will give me.

Unfortunately the room is occupied also by 3 high end computers, and no AC. I dont think I will be able to get the temp in the room below 75-80 during the summer. Thats why I considered getting a water chiller.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 05:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (120/100%)
Are you noticing your plants suffering with the temps in the high 70's or do you have livestock that can't take it? Last summer my 120gal tank got up to almost 90 during the day due to my apartment being 85 or so plus 2 175w MH lights about 3-4 inches off the water. The plants and fish all did just fine. On that note I don't think there are any decent (maybe not any) chillers that will work on a 75 and are under 300. The fans will bring down the temp quite a bit but like you said you will have to replace quite a bit of water.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblongshrimp View Post
Are you noticing your plants suffering with the temps in the high 70's or do you have livestock that can't take it? Last summer my 120gal tank got up to almost 90 during the day due to my apartment being 85 or so plus 2 175w MH lights about 3-4 inches off the water. The plants and fish all did just fine. On that note I don't think there are any decent (maybe not any) chillers that will work on a 75 and are under 300. The fans will bring down the temp quite a bit but like you said you will have to replace quite a bit of water.
I'm not.. I just did not want there to be an issue.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 05:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I read somewhere here about a DIY water cooler. We'll have to do a search.

10 gallon hospital tank.
29 & 50 gallon - High Tech C02 enriched.
50 gallon Pond - Natural.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 05:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
DIY coolers are usually coils of tubing put in a mini-fridge. Water is then pumped through it to cool. Or there are DIY thermoelectric chillers which would be very energy inefficient on a 75 gallon tank.

For a 75 gallon tank, I think you'd need to go with a 1/5hp chiller, which will cost you ~$475 used to ~$700+ new.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 06:13 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

well if I can keep it at room temp or 1-2 over by moving the lights up an inch or two and putting a fan that blows over it, oever it.. that might suffice.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 06:23 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
you can try to make your own heat exchanger.
You'd need a pump and a really long hose. Basically mimmic how a fridge works.. pump water out of the tank through the long hose.. have most of the hose coiled up in a dark cool place in a bucket of water... then allow the water to go back to the tank.

Or I'd imagine a sump or a canister filter does the same thing.. You'd just put the canister in a cool place.

Try raising your lights up. I don't think that'll affect the plants too much.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode