Possible to have too MUCH light? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Possible to have too MUCH light?

Is it possible to have too much light? As in, leave the light on for too long, algae problems notwithstanding? I have 28W over 6 gals... Thanks! If so, what can it do to the plants?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 06:01 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
You have about 4-5 wats per gallon there and that should work for all bright light loving plants that you can keep in that size tank without question.

As for the photoperiod , I adjust according to whether there is any algae already growing in a tank, reduce to 5-6 hours then increase as needed by plants growth.

Other factors are CO2, and Ferts. Do you have them? If not then the light might be a little strong and you'll need to cut back some.

Here's a great thread from the lighting section here.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/li...ens-watts.html

Doug
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

is it possible for too much light to have a negative affect on the plants though?

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 06:10 PM

Only in conjunction with algae growth. The plants will use what they need.

IMHO you have a proper amount for good growth of all plants, though some like the light a little dimmer such as some crypts. For those you would want about half the amount or a little more probably.

Again are you adding CO2 and Ferts? What is the photoperiod? These factors are VERY important also. and plenty has been written here about this topic under that link plus others

Doug
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

right now I am supplementing carbon with Excel. I am also using a PPS dosing regimine which i just started. photoperiod about 10 hours. this new amount of light and ferts is new for my tank, so I haven't started to see results yet.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agdavis View Post
right now I am supplementing carbon with Excel. I am also using a PPS dosing regimine which i just started. photoperiod about 10 hours. this new amount of light and ferts is new for my tank, so I haven't started to see results yet.
What plants are you keeping and which ones would you like to keep within your 6 gallons?

You ferts are fine and so is the carbon so the light should not cause you too much trouble unless you start seeing algae growing quickly.

10 hours might be quite a bit I would take it down to 7-8 hours per day until you see some plants having less growth than they can. Then increase over a week adding a half hour each day until the plants are growing as they should.

Here's a tank that works good check out the thread:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pl...tml#post339419
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 06:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
The way I understand plant growth leads me to believe that yes, it is possible to have "too much light" as in the lights being on too long. Plants need a rest period so they can metabolize all the food they've made while the lights are on. In nature, this rest period comes daily ~ at nighttime.

Now, I'm speaking of terrestrial and pond plants ~ don't have a lot of experience with totally submerged plants in planted tanks yet, but I'd bet they're the same.

~ Linda ~

How many watts do I need to make my swimming pool a high light tank?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampCreekTexas View Post
The way I understand plant growth leads me to believe that yes, it is possible to have "too much light" as in the lights being on too long. Plants need a rest period so they can metabolize all the food they've made while the lights are on. In nature, this rest period comes daily ~ at nighttime.

Now, I'm speaking of terrestrial and pond plants ~ don't have a lot of experience with totally submerged plants in planted tanks yet, but I'd bet they're the same.
Same for aquarium plants.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactic Doug View Post
What plants are you keeping and which ones would you like to keep within your 6 gallons?

You ferts are fine and so is the carbon so the light should not cause you too much trouble unless you start seeing algae growing quickly.

10 hours might be quite a bit I would take it down to 7-8 hours per day until you see some plants having less growth than they can. Then increase over a week adding a half hour each day until the plants are growing as they should.

Here's a tank that works good check out the thread:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pl...tml#post339419
currently, i have a relatively sparse (or what I think sparse is like, anyways) assortment of: anubias nana, java moss, dwarf sag and java fern. i have some HC en route to me as we speak, also. i would eventually like to get some glosso going, and maybe some dwarf hairgrass....any other suggestions for plants that may go well?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agdavis View Post
currently, i have a relatively sparse (or what I think sparse is like, anyways) assortment of: anubias nana, java moss, dwarf sag and java fern. i have some HC en route to me as we speak, also. i would eventually like to get some glosso going, and maybe some dwarf hairgrass....any other suggestions for plants that may go well?
Good variety!

Though I think if you have a good run with the glosso you'll find it to be more of a weed and it can cover up everything else in the tank within two-three weeks without constant pruning. I would suggest instead of that plant, go with Lilaeopsis or Dwarf Sword, both stay smallish but get nice looking under proper conditions (DS would be easiest to keep alive under almost any conditions). Personal "WANTS" are best for "YOUR" tank, so look around at any pics you can. Also if you like to see great pics and read here's a book I like ALOT!
http://www.alibris.com/search/detail...se-_-isbn-_-na

Doug
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Good variety!

Though I think if you have a good run with the glosso you'll find it to be more of a weed and it can cover up everything else in the tank within two-three weeks without constant pruning. I would suggest instead of that plant, go with Lilaeopsis or Dwarf Sword, both stay smallish but get nice looking under proper conditions (DS would be easiest to keep alive under almost any conditions). Personal "WANTS" are best for "YOUR" tank, so look around at any pics you can. Also if you like to see great pics and read here's a book I like ALOT!
http://www.alibris.com/search/detail...se-_-isbn-_-na

Doug
i'm sorry...i read your post a couple times but i couldn't tell which plant you were referencing to be weed-like. did you mean the dwarf hairgrass? i didnt think glosso was weed like either? (confused)
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 12:49 AM

Glossostigma can grow over almost any other plant as it grows like a weed.

See Amano book #3 pages 256-265 (Hill Rug Acts 1-5)to get an idea of just what this plant can REALLY do! If that book is not avialable just accept others word for it that when it gets what it wants with ferts, light, water, co2, it will overrun the other plants continually. IMHO.

The Hairgrass is fine as it does not grow as fast as glosso.

http://www.amazon.com/Nature-Aquariu.../dp/0793820782

That is one of 4 great books on the plants in the aquarium.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 12:58 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I think it is very possible to have too much light. that much light over 6 gallons will be very tough to balance with co2 and ferts.. especially in a little tank, and even in a large one. and why do you want fast plants in a 6 gallon? you'll never be able to keep a scape more than 2 days without it growing out. I have recently cut my 30 gallon from 4.5 watts to 2.5 wattspergallon and every high light plant is growing really well, with some co2 and ferts. in fact a few are growing better.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 01:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
28 watts over 6 gallons isn't really all that much.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry View Post
that much light over 6 gallons will be very tough to balance with co2 and ferts..
Which plants are you keeping in your tank Sherry?

I agree with the idea that balancing will be more difficult, but you are keeping a nano tank for it size, and small tanks always require more work to keep. 6 gallon sized tank balancing as compared to a 40g or 120g will need more effort. You just plan on "some" extra work with a nano tank with "Your" tastes in plants being for your "minds eye". IMHO

Doug

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode