Book pre-purchase info request - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 03:58 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Book pre-purchase info request

Hi

I am thinking about buying this book but cannot find information about it online (just purchasing info). Has anyone ever bought it or read it al all? If you have could you please let me know what it contains as for detailed info on the shrimps of our hobby? Or anything else that might be nice to know before buying it.

"Aqualog Special - Shrimps, Crayfishes, and Crabs in the Freshwater Aquarium"

Thanks!

Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 11:28 AM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
with so many web sights dedicated to Verts,
this hardly seems worth the time especially
since it's nearly 10 years out of date...

I am a fan of aquatic crabs. But have had a hard time finding information on all the different types of them out there. This book helped alot with shrimp and crayfishes. It has several crabs but not a full detailed setup on all there requirements. It is a good book for someone who is just starting crab collecting as I am, but for a serious crab person it lack some technical details that one would need to be a crab geek. -reviewed in 2002

In this Special, we introduce the 64 most interesting shrimps, crabs and crayfishes that can be kept in freshwater tanks. Like in ornamental fishes, there are small and large species, and species that can be kept in community tanks with fish. We tell you, which ones are suitable and which are not, on 48 pages with many illustrations. Interesting and exciting! -overview

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 02:28 PM
Boz
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)
I was able to find this: http://www.aquahobby.com/books/e_Aqu..._Crabs_New.php

and the author also makes a kind reference to the book in this article:
http://www.thekrib.com/Fish/Shrimp/

And one review found at this website: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aqualog-Spec.../dp/3936027080

All of the Aqualog books are excellent value, although they are not particularly cheap. They are full to the brim with first class colour photographs and to reproduce these in a book is an expensive process. Whether they are about Shrimps and other crustaceans, or some other species of fish they are the most comprehensive identification books you can buy. They never become dated because as new fish become available to the aquarist trade the books are updated.

They do not deal with the basics of fish keeping, there are many and varied books that do that. They are in the main a fish identification encyclopaedia and nothing more. But for those aquarists who are particularly interested in a single species they are indispensable.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spypet View Post
with so many web sights dedicated to Verts,
this hardly seems worth the time especially
since it's nearly 10 years out of date...

I was really hoping this had some more up to date info on the shrimps as thats my main need at this time.

I am a fan of aquatic crabs. But have had a hard time finding information on all the different types of them out there. This book helped alot with shrimp and crayfishes. It has several crabs but not a full detailed setup on all there requirements. It is a good book for someone who is just starting crab collecting as I am, but for a serious crab person it lack some technical details that one would need to be a crab geek. -reviewed in 2002
I may be interested in Crabs also at a later time because they are kinda cool too but I want to get into shrimps BIG TIME, and need VERY detailed info on them. I guess I will have to keep looking and hope that someone gets enough info together to do a book about them some time. I am a firm believer in books to relax with in the evenings and such, and a book on shrimps would add to my collection.

Do you know of a site that has VERY current information about shrimps or all crusties?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 08:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
For other sites I would suggest

www.shrimpnow.com Great site! Really into CRS

www.planetinverts.com New site started by Wood a member here, so far so good. Lots of great potential, sooner or later it will be the best of the best I'm hoping.

Then there is the other site that you should probably stay away from www.petshrimp.com.

-Andrew

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode