For those who have followed my work, PLEASE help me! - The Planted Tank Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (7/100%)
For those who have followed my work, PLEASE help me!

Today I was informed by my Resident Assistent that Claremont Mckenna College has decided they do not want me bringing back my 60cm aquarium to the residence hall next year. In other words, it is possible that I might not do another 60cm layout for the next two years.

I talked to the Director of Residential Life, and he informed me that the decision was absolute. The tank is 8 gallons over the 10 gallon limit (which I guess I did not know about). I was also informed that there had been accusations that my aquarium had caused the dorm to smell bad. We all know this is propostorous. If the floor smells bad, it's because the kids come in and trash it every week with beer, vomit, and garbage. Plants remove ammonia-- unflushed toilets do not. In any case, it seems it has become impossible for me to have my 60cm next year in my room.

But there is a glimmer of hope.

The director told me that if I was willing, he would try and find a place where the aquarium could be set up in another facility like the science building or one of the other buildings. Since I explained aquascaping to him, and showed him my work, he came to understand that it was art, and thus believed it would be very possible to make such an arrangement.

What I want from you all though, is to help me underline how important it is. I would ask that all those who want to see another aquascape from me in the fall please e-mail the Director of Residential Life and the Dean of Students and explain how you've followed my work and want to see more of it. Please help them understand the importance and splendor of aquascaping. I ask that you help me make sure they see this as an important matter, and one that should be taken to all lengths to make possible.

Ethan Andyshak,
Director of Residential Life
e-mail: [email protected]

David "Fid" Castro
Assistant Dean of Students & Dean of Returning Students
e-mail: [email protected]

I realize this post is flat out arrogance and presumptiousness. I realize this is a very selfish request, and this might not even be the right place to post-- but I'm in desperate need of help. I'm feeling devastated and uncertain. I'm making a plea to the community of aquascapers and planted aquarium hobbyists to please help me in my time of need.

Claremont is a great school with a go-get-'em attitude-- we live "Work Hard Play Hard." We believe that our students are the tough-minded type who passionately pursue their dreams. Please convince them I should be able to pursue mine.

I appreciate your time,

Steven Chong

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 01:13 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Will help to send email.

I also think that the school is being inflexible. Would they be agreeable if you keep the tank but have less water in it? Your tank minus substrate, rock, driftwood etc. would be pretty close to 10g.

Out of curiosity, I checked with my d's college, and the dean of college replied that they can evaluate and make exception if appropriate. So not an out right reject.

If all things failed, go to Ponoma. I think it is just next door, isn't it?
post #3 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 01:15 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to dufus
Steven- I, for one, am glad to try to help you out. i emailed david, but the top link didn't work.
Hope everything turns out good.

-Devin-
Steve irwin- a father, a hero, a memory now. -We'll miss you mate

post #4 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 02:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Your dream is to aquascape? Then perhaps you've chosen the wrong school/major since apparently the school administration does not see the correlation between your field of study and your planted aquarium.

I'm sorry, but America's youth seems to be expecting the world to pander to their every whim. It's not a trend I plan on supporting. Oh, and I believe a more appropriate adjective for this post would be pretentious.

óBill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 02:26 AM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
Why not simply agree to keep it going with 8 fewer gallons in it...
I know that sounds nuts, but it may give them the wiggle room
they need to make an exception on your behalf. Then maybe
choose some other plants that will grow well half immersed
as for any potential smell, the only place that could be from is
the food you use, so be sure to keep it all in a Tupperware box.

post #6 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 02:29 AM

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bharada View Post
pretentious.
I think that was the word he was thinking of, but used presumptiousnessesseses, instead

Steven, what is your major???
post #7 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 03:01 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (48/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoko View Post
I think that was the word he was thinking of, but used presumptiousnessesseses, instead

Steven, what is your major???
He "thinks" his major is aquascaping, lol. After all that is what you go to college for, right?

post #8 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 03:54 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharada View Post
Your dream is to aquascape? Then perhaps you've chosen the wrong school/major since apparently the school administration does not see the correlation between your field of study and your planted aquarium.

I'm sorry, but America's youth seems to be expecting the world to pander to their every whim. It's not a trend I plan on supporting. Oh, and I believe a more appropriate adjective for this post would be pretentious.
LOL, pretentious?

The school allows 10g tank, so the question is whether the school would be flexible enough to consider a somewhat bigger tank. I don't see why a student should not petition if he/she feels strong enough about it. Nothing pretentious there.

This is the guideline for Pomona College when it comes to pet in residence halls:
Quote:
The presence of animals in residence halls creates a sanitation problem and may be offensive to other students and staff. Under no circumstances are students permitted to have cats or dogs in the residence halls. Only completely and consistently caged, non-poisonous pets are permitted if they do not adversely affect other residents and the owner agrees to conditions of care and sanitation.
This is from harvey Mudd:
Quote:
Pet Registration

HMC Pet Policy (Student Handbook 2006-2007, page 2-4):

"Residents may keep small pets on campus as long as they are: kept in cages or tanks in their rooms; are legal in the state of California; and are not dogs or cats. They must get the approval of their roommate, suitemates, and the dorm president. A pet registration form may be obtained from the DAC chair [or this webpage may be printed and filled out; see below]. Damage to dormitory rooms and/or furnishings that results from pets will be billed to the resident responsible for the pet. All pets must be kept clean, healthy, and in well-maintained living spaces."

Before you bring a pet to campus, consult your roommate and suitemates to see if anyone objects to the pet. If they do, do not bring the pet. You must register a pet within 7 days of bringing it on to campus. Any unregistered pet found on campus after 7 days will result in a fine of $50.00 (cats and dogs will incur a $100 fine), and subsequent DB charges will ensue if it is not removed.

All pets must be properly contained and well cared for. You will be held fully responsible for any damage caused by your pet. If your pet has fur, this includes steam cleaning of your room and possible carpet replacement. Facilities and Maintenance will make the determination of necessary cleaning and repair.

If someone objects to the presence, care, or impact of a registered pet on the physical space or community, they may bring the complaint to the DAC. The DAC will decide whether the pet may remain on campus, or if specific conditions will be added to the registration requirements.

This policy exists both to protect the welfare of the animals involved (a dorm room is too small for a cat, dog or other larger pet to be healthy and properly taken care of) and to protect the welfare of students living in the same dorm or room.
Moving on to Caltech:
Quote:
Pets
Only cats or pets that may be permanently kept in tanks or cages that do not exceed 20 gallons, can be kept in Caltech Housing. Residents should contact the Housing Office to register their cats. Residents with cats shall incur a $200.00 one time cleaning fee per cat. Currently, no other pets or laboratory animals of any kind are permitted in Caltech Housing. Other pets such as rabbits or hamsters are being discussed at this time.
See, aquarium in dorm rooms are not uncommon. Caltech allow 20g tanks, Harvey Mudd is flexible, Pomona is also flexible once roommates' and hall-mates' opinions are taken into consideration.

Now, other than taking more space, do you really really think that a 18g tank makes more noise, creates a sanitation problem etc than a 10g tank? I think the RA and Dean's office are being pretentious. Same as a cop issue a speeding ticket for driving 28 mph in a 25 mph zone.
post #9 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 03:54 AM

Sorry, I still consider myself somewhat new to the Forums, I guess, in the sense that I haven't read enough of Steven's Threads to know what his plans are as far as school and career...
I know he takes Aquascaping seriously, but didn't know he wanted to make a career out of it??

Steven, you should ask Aquaspotworld to vouch for you.

Are your parents supportive of this??

I thought you were going to school for International Business ?!!?
post #10 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toffee View Post
LOL, pretentious?

The school allows 10g tank, so the question is whether the school would be flexible enough to consider a somewhat bigger tank. I don't see why a student should not petition if he/she feels strong enough about it. Nothing pretentious there.....
You missed the point--- pretentious in that, he is asking us to write his Dean/Director about how great an Aquascaper he is and that he should bend the RULES and make an exception for Steven.

Furthermore, that we ought to write, because if we don't we won't be able to see his 'scapes anymore----

I think that pretty much sums it up! haha!

Steven even said so himself in the request above, if you read carefully!!

Quote:
...e-mail the Director of Residential Life and the Dean of Students and explain how you've followed my work and want to see more of it...
Clearly---
post #11 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 04:10 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoko View Post
You missed the point--- pretentious in that, he is asking us to write his Dean/Director about how great an Aquascaper he is and that he should bend the RULES and make an exception for Steven.

Furthermore, that we ought to write, because if we don't we won't be able to see his 'scapes anymore----

I think that pretty much sums it up! haha!

Steven even said so himself in the request above, if you read carefully!!
lol, guilty as charged yoko, I didn't read his post carefully.

I am writing to his dean because I don't see why a school allows 10g can't consider a 18g. Met his dean once, didn't came accross as the type who will issue speeding ticket for driving 28mph in school zone.

as for steve's aquascape, umm, not really my cup of tea.
post #12 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 04:11 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Steven, I am a big fan of your tanks, this is true. But.....College, especially dorm life, is unique and special. If I could offer one piece of advice, it would be to drop the 60cm. Go out, live a college life. You have the rest of your life for aquascaping, but one chance to build bonds with your dorm mates that will last a lifetime.

I graduated from USC and would not trade my dorm years for any aquascape. Hell, any tank at that. Not even Amano's big one. The friends and memories that I got from that experience were priceless.

I challenge you to drop the 60 debate. If you have to have a tank, take that nano of yours and set up a low-maintaince tank. Then go out and have some fun. Be crazy, be one of the "kids" who come in and "trash it."

Most importantly find a career so that you can keep aquascaping enjoyable. Nothing ruins a hobby like being force to do it.

-ADA mini s- 29g low tech -
post #13 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 04:23 AM
planted tank sickness

PTrader: (14/100%)
if it such a big deal i would just go ahead and set it up anyway. find a new dorm, and just try and keep the whole thing a secret.

or just keep a 10gallon tank and scape it to look like a 60cm. and don't tell everyone in the dorm you have a tank setup.

Last edited by aquanut415; 05-11-2007 at 04:23 AM. Reason: punctuation
post #14 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 07:27 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (67/100%)
You could always move out of the dorms...
post #15 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 08:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
IMO, I doubt emails from perfect strangers from a web forum will help much. I imagine there is probably a bit of a control issue and other factors involved. But the old adage says you can "catch more flies with honey than vinegar", so I would try the diplomatic route and settle for the science building. That way more could enjoy your work.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode