150 gallon tank is Leaking...please help..picture inside. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 05:45 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
150 gallon tank is Leaking...please help..picture inside.

this is absolutely horrible. my first big wannabe planted tank and it's leaking. Please help. yesterday i fill the tank 15% in the backyard with out any leaking. now after adding flourite substrate in the house and fill the water up 50%, it start to leak at bottom left corner, and the front center. No sign of crack. i bought the "perfecto aquarium sealant" at petsmart to reseal it. but not sure if i'm doing it correct, so i need you all help before i start on it.
i'm not sure if i add the subtrate in the center too much that's why it leaking. the tank leaking at the bottom and a little at the back. also there's a crack on the plastic at the center of the tank. this picture took right after i clean the mess up.

My question is :
Should i reseal the tank? how hard is it? is it safe later on for the tank this size? is "Perfecto Aquarium Sealant" silicone a good brand?
is it unsafe since there's a crack on the plastic panel?

here's the tank. sorry,i can't seem to rotate the picture since i dont have photoshop.

this pic, it leak at the bottom and spill up on the crack of the plastic.

in this picture, the middle plastic panel crack and water leaking out. a lot of dripping on the front left and center. is it unsafe?

Thank you for helping me out yall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 11:29 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You should take all pieces apart ,clean/remove silicone ,reseal.
a lot of work but that is the only way you can be 100% sure is done right.
It is not as hard as you think,I did it with my 100 gal.tank .
Remember,its never wise to buy a second hand fish tank.
If you decide to separate and reseal your tank,I will help you get through it.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 02:02 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
On a second hand tank: a 15% fill up for testing is NEVER good enough. I would always test by filling 100% full, and leaving the water a full 24 hrs to test for any leak....small or large. Heck, that's what I do even with a new 20gallon tank.

How good is your home-owners insurance????? Want to find out???? Unless you've got that baby in a basement with a floor drain close by, no carpeting anywhere on the same floor, and nothing valuable lower than 2ft to the ground...drain it and get rid of it. Patching a leak is never enough. If you like DIY stuff, and you're good at it (and careful) you can strip and reseal it. I'd still be concerned about the plastic brace being cracked.

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 02:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (208/100%)
That sucks. Where you get it? off craig's list? Where you at in TN?

If you decide you don't want to fix it, I'll take it off your hands for cheap.

post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 03:08 PM

PTrader: (11/100%)
Is it brand new? If you bought it at the store it is defective and you should get your money back or a replacement!

Tina
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for everyone advices. hey distrbd, is it safe since the plastic brace crack and water leak out of it? when you mean take all pieces apart, do you mean the plastic brace too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by distrbd View Post
You should take all pieces apart ,clean/remove silicone ,reseal.
a lot of work but that is the only way you can be 100% sure is done right.
It is not as hard as you think,I did it with my 100 gal.tank .
Remember,its never wise to buy a second hand fish tank.
If you decide to separate and reseal your tank,I will help you get through it.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

hey mcclellan, i lived in memphis, TN. so its 6 hrs drive from knoxville. haha you still want it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by macclellan View Post
That sucks. Where you get it? off craig's list? Where you at in TN?

If you decide you don't want to fix it, I'll take it off your hands for cheap.

post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 07:16 PM

Well, I can see why. You set it up sideways!! lol!!!
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 07:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

Switch from glass to acrylic tanks. Acrylic tanks are pre molded and have no seams. No seams = no leaks.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 08:05 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
IMO the plastic brace isn't what keeps the water in the tank. It's the silicone between the glass panels. The brace just hides the ugly glueing job, and adds a little bit more structural stability. So if it is leaking where the brace cracked, just siliconing that back together wouldn't really solve the problem.

If you would do what distrbd suggests, you'd have to remove the brace (which will destroy it I believe...).

Good luck...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 08:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

What a disappointment! See if you can get inspired in the vivarium forum. Orchids and tree frogs? It's a nice tall tank for that, and you'd have to be creative with your water, but you can still have a lot of fun with a semi-aquatic planted tank.
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 09:32 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
baowow, If you do what Mori suggests (great idea!!!!)
you could set up your water portion on the right-side of the tank, where there is no leak!

All you would have to do is, cut a piece of plexi-glass and silicone it to section off the tank.

The left-side with the leak, you could patch up as best you can and then fill it up with soil and plants and will ultimately be your land area

If you re-seal it, you MUST do it correctly or else your efforts will end in even more disappointment.
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

Thank you Yoko. yeah it's a nice tank. i dont know if i should reseal it or not. it seem like everyone afraid of resealing it. i might as well buy a 120 gallon tank to replace this. maybe i get more light on the bottom since this is too tall anyway.
This is my last time buying a used tank.
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 12:40 AM

PTrader: (1/100%)
baowow, I feel bad. Don't toss it, keep it in storage. Maybe after building the new tank and you get bored, you may want to build a Paludarium

Did you know it was cracked before you bought it?

I feel really bad :0(

RE: Reseal.
I think it would depend on how confident you are in your skills (i.e. if you've had prior experience, etc). It's just that there is a lot at stake here. It's not a 10g, you know? I've experience a mini-flood in my bedroom, due to shelf failure. It was a horrible experience.
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 01:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

It would also depend on if it were going in a basement or not...my last basement had drains in the floor going directly to the sewer. Very old school. On the bright side, you're not out THAT much money--the stand is a big chunk of the price and you still have that!

(And the other bright side, it really would have been hard to work on that thing!)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode