LFS Going out of business - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
LFS Going out of business

Unfortunatly, one of my LFS is closing down at the end of the month. My dad said I could get one of their 55 gallon show tanks for only $35. I'm not sure yet, but they might be selling a blue discus. It is fairly small.

My questions:
Can a relatively small discus (+-4 in) live in a ten gallon tank with a 5 gallon water changes weekly w/ a Fluval 204 until the 55 gallon cycles?

How many discus can be kept in a 55 gallon with a 50% water change weekly, and heavely planted?

And finally, what other fish can I keep with peacefully discus?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 12:09 AM

You don't have to cycle the 55 gallon if you have a mature filter, plus heavy planting from the start
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

The only problem is, none of my LFS have enough plants to heavily plant a 55 gallon from the start, and the fluval is rated up to 35 gallons I think and discus like pristine water conditions.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 10:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via AIM to TheOtherGeoff Send a message via MSN to TheOtherGeoff
that'll be fine

keep 4 or 5 in a 55.better with even numbers for pairing purposes.

and whoever said discus like pristine water is trying to hard. my discus get a small water change once a month if they are lucky. usually every couple months they get one. and they are all good sized and doing well

The Fish Tank, Tranquility in Motion

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
all gone now

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Planted discus has come to an end.......but only for
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 10:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

I think you can cycle the 55 with the discus in it, especially if he's dinky and you keep up on water changes. It'll be easier on you and him. Put your old filter on there as well as the new and test your water often. Plants will help (and make him more comfy) but even if you can't heavily plant, I think a few plants and the old filter in the 55 will be better.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 02:47 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll probably get another canister in a month after I get the tank, because I'm using the canister on my 15 gallon. And the cycle won't be big if I keep the gravel wet, right? I'll probably blow some money on the plants, and take some from my 15 gallon.

EDIT: Would changing 25% of the water ever week or two work? because my dad doesn't want want to spend a lot on his water bill for an extra 100+ gallons every month.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode