Direct Sunlight - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (11/100%)
Direct Sunlight

Where my new 75gal is sitting, it will get direct morning sunlight from ~6am-10am. The lights then pop on about noon-10pm.

Is this a good or bad situation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 02:44 PM

PTrader: (70/99%)
Excess heat and green spot algae could be some downside. I usually try to avoid having sun light striking the tank.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcallen View Post
Excess heat and green spot algae could be some downside. I usually try to avoid having sun light striking the tank.
Unfortunately, The tanks setup and well, its not moving. There would not be any other reasonable place to put it in my Condo. Being 75 Gal They actually nailed up 3 more 2x4's to support it under my floor.

I'm thinking it could help my marginal lighting setup. I could do the photo period of 7am-Noon, and then 5pm - 10pm.. Donno how the ambient lighting would affect the tank between noon-5pm however..

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 03:16 PM

PTrader: (70/99%)
I would put up a blind or curtain and keep the sunlight off of it. JMHO.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 03:56 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I think it will work. Try it and find out. If not you can always put up some sort of blinds and fix that. For the money you save in electricity it could be worth a little algae scrubbing, if that turns out to be the only downside.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 05:08 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Sunlight would be a good addition to a tank but not too much.. A nice lacey curtain would be good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 05:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (208/100%)
I get about 3 hours of afternoon sun pouring into my 75g. It makes my plants pearl. They don't pearl otherwise with only 130w. Some GSA, but I have that anyways. I do inject CO2, like 15ppm.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 12:20 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
It will work because Im doing the same thing. My tank sit right next to the window. When I wake up at 6 am to get ready to go to college i turn the blind so the light can come through. I get home around 12 then i turn the blinds a little bit because its to bright. There is a little algae but not alot. I also have CO2 running so it will reduce the algae.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 01:40 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Morning Sun shouldn't be to much a problem. My tank gets just a little morning sun on one side of it which has no algae on that side.

10 gallon hospital tank.
29 & 50 gallon - High Tech C02 enriched.
50 gallon Pond - Natural.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 06:22 PM

I just want you all to know that your acronyms confuse the hell out of me.
what is GSA? JMHO? CO2? (kidding about the last one )
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 06:53 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Green Spot Alga... Just My Honest Opinion...

Regarding sun, there are a couple of considerations that might or might not be issues for you.

Basically, it is a lot of free light, great from that aspect. It is not very constant... some days it might be cloudy, in Winter or Summer it might hit different parts of the tank, etc. If you do have issues with algae, it might proliferate them...

A tank that is directly hit by sun is harder to see/enjoy than a tank that is sitting in a dark corner and properly lit. If this is just for a couple of hours in the morning, shouldn't be a problem.

Some fish get spooked by shadows, so if you have easy-to-spook fishies and people are often passing between the window and the tank that might be in issue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 06:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (120/100%)
GSA is green spot algae, I think JMHO is just my honest opinion
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 08:32 PM

thanks for your patience

my Idiot's Guide to Aquariums says sunlight isn't a big deal, if those books are at all creditable
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 08:37 PM

PTrader: (5/100%)
JMHO = just my honest or humble opinion.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 09:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I have a similar situtation - sunlight 6-9AM (skylight) and then 2-5PM (glass door). The morning sun looks lousy because it hits the tank strait on. But, the afternoon sun comes in through the side......my favorite 3 hours of the day . I never got any more spot algae in the "sun areas" than the non-sun. Only issue I ever had was BGA - oops, - Blue Green Algae growing against the glass, beneath the substrate (in the sunny areas).

Ted

- Set up April 2007 -

- Terminated March 2007 -

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode