help decide on stock for 30g hex - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
help decide on stock for 30g hex

got a 30g hex tank up and running at my office. have 5 giant danios in it (that could be moved to another tank) and 2 albino cory's. i want to stock the tank. and i want it colorful. i have 5 albino pleco babies at home and will probably bring two of them to the new tank. i don't care if it's all one species or a bunch. any and all ideas are welcome. pictures are even more welcome. i think i'd like more of a smaller fish than a few large ones. HELP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 02:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
A gourami centerpiece with Rasboras as a schooling fish with a few cories should look cool. What kind of Pleco?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

albino bristlenose

what kind of gourami? rasbora? got any good pictures?

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 02:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovenmit331 View Post
albino bristlenose

what kind of gourami? rasbora? got any good pictures?
I think with a Blue Gourami you have the Subtle yet elegant flow of a nice centerpiece. I suggest Harlequin's as they seem to be one of the hardiest I have seen. They also have a nice bronze coloring that will really pop against the Gourami. I dont have any pics but do a search on Google Image or the forums for pics. I think with 1 Blue Gourami, 10 Harlequin Rasboras, Albino Bristlenose Pleco, 4 Cories. I would set up a little cave for the Pleco just so he has a place to hang out during the day.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 03:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by James From Cali View Post
I think with a Blue Gourami you have the Subtle yet elegant flow of a nice centerpiece. I suggest Harlequin's as they seem to be one of the hardiest I have seen. They also have a nice bronze coloring that will really pop against the Gourami. I dont have any pics but do a search on Google Image or the forums for pics. I think with 1 Blue Gourami, 10 Harlequin Rasboras, Albino Bristlenose Pleco, 4 Cories. I would set up a little cave for the Pleco just so he has a place to hang out during the day.
anyone here have any of these? i may just have to look around and find them, but i usually don't trust the labeling at a lot of LFS's

i'm also gonna try to find pictures of them. but still also open to more suggestions... might do a poll at a later date when there are more options available
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 03:49 AM

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovenmit331 View Post
anyone here have any of these? i may just have to look around and find them, but i usually don't trust the labeling at a lot of LFS's
A lesson best learned early, especially when they mislabel plecos that basicly never stop growing as the a kind that doesn't get too big. They always get the saltwater fish and most of the corals right though.

I had a male Neon Blue Dwarf Gourami (which I think most people just call blue grouami) in an Ark tank. It was a very nice centerpiece to a tank that had no real center.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 04:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Cheap, hardy and endlessly entertaining. Black neons.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauser101 View Post
A lesson best learned early, especially when they mislabel plecos that basicly never stop growing as the a kind that doesn't get too big. They always get the saltwater fish and most of the corals right though.

I had a male Neon Blue Dwarf Gourami (which I think most people just call blue grouami) in an Ark tank. It was a very nice centerpiece to a tank that had no real center.
i luckily got my pleco's from silversurfer so i know they're good and correctly labeled as for lfs... i have a pleco from petsmart and i'm still not 100% sure what kind he is...
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

any other suggestions?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 03:25 PM

PTrader: (70/99%)
A pair of Pelvicachromis pulcher with a shoal of micro Rasboras and your albino pleco babies. Might have to remove the 2 albino cory's if the Kribs show aggression towards them.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 03:58 PM

PTrader: (50/100%)
I have a 30 gal hex also and speaking from experience I can give you a few pointers. First, although 30 gallons seem like a decent size tank you have to remember most of it is in the height. You don't have a whole lot of ground area, especially after you get done planting it. I wouldn't recommend too many bottom dwellers or they will be fighting over territory. That said also remember you don't even have as much length as even a 20 gallon so schooling fish are not going to have much room to "school" side to side. Find yourself a nice mix of bottom, middle and top dwellers. You'll have activity in all depths of the tank and crowding or territory fights will be kept to a minimum. If you plan on planting the tank you will realize Giant Hairgrass is your friend. It makes a great background in a narrow but tall tank.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNas102 View Post
I have a 30 gal hex also and speaking from experience I can give you a few pointers. First, although 30 gallons seem like a decent size tank you have to remember most of it is in the height. You don't have a whole lot of ground area, especially after you get done planting it. I wouldn't recommend too many bottom dwellers or they will be fighting over territory. That said also remember you don't even have as much length as even a 20 gallon so schooling fish are not going to have much room to "school" side to side. Find yourself a nice mix of bottom, middle and top dwellers. You'll have activity in all depths of the tank and crowding or territory fights will be kept to a minimum. If you plan on planting the tank you will realize Giant Hairgrass is your friend. It makes a great background in a narrow but tall tank.
THANKS for the input! i think i'm good for bottom dwellers with the 2 albino cory's and the albino pleco (might add one more later). as for middle and top dwellers, any colorful reccomendations? and Giant Hairgrass you say, got any pics? or extras i could purchase?
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 04:11 PM

PTrader: (50/100%)
I'm planning on doing maintenance on the tank tonight or tomorrow night. I'll try to take some pics then. I'm sure I have some giant hairgrass to spare. The stuff is invasive if you don't keep it in check. If you have any plants now we could trade or you could just pay the shipping. I'm looking for some red palnts at the moment. I've got a bare spot there right now after removing some Bacopa Araguia (or however you spell it) that my tetras tore apart for lunch. I could use some A. Reineckii or L. Aromatica.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNas102 View Post
I'm planning on doing maintenance on the tank tonight or tomorrow night. I'll try to take some pics then. I'm sure I have some giant hairgrass to spare. The stuff is invasive if you don't keep it in check. If you have any plants now we could trade or you could just pay the shipping. I'm looking for some red palnts at the moment. I've got a bare spot there right now after removing some Bacopa Araguia (or however you spell it) that my tetras tore apart for lunch. I could use some A. Reineckii or L. Aromatica.
i've got basically nothing to trade. anything extra i had i just tossed in this tank. any pics you have of your current tank would be GREAT! and if you do have any extras, let me know what you want for them.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 06:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauser101 View Post
Actually a Blue Gourami is different from A dwarf Gourami. Dwarf Gourami's get relatively smaller tha Blue Gourami's.

Ovenmit-Cories prefer to be in a group of at least 3 so I would get at least one more Cory.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode