How would CO2 work on land plants? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
I don't want CO2 injection, however, I intend to use a similar setup to a yeast culture DIY CO2 in a, mostly, closed system. Would this be a waste of time? I intend to use some internal circulation to keep the CO2 off the ground. The CO2 will be air bound.

Or...

Should I add CO2 to the water used inside? Distributing it to leaves and roots via humidity and direct contact?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 04:52 PM
Planted Tank VIP

Tough one... I don't think you'd be able to generate enough CO2 using a standard DIY methods to increase the airbourne concentration.

Do you have any Hydroponics outlets in your area? Carbon Dioxide systems are all the rage these days for indoor home growing of various high yield "ferns" (don't even bother to ask, I'm not going to answer in a public forum) so you might be able to get some info there...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 05:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
CO2 in the air is only ~ 0.036%. It should be really really easy to get a higher concentration just by running a DIY CO2 setup into a semi enclosed growing container.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 05:51 PM
Planted Tank VIP

How large of a vivarium (I'm making an assumption here) are we talking? Is it going to be a closed system?

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 08:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
If we all would use more fossil fuels we would have plenty of Co2.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 10:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to IUnknown
Zurp,
I just set this up last weekend to grow glosso emersed. I will post some pictures later. How are you going to raise the temps? I ended up putting a tray with water and put an aquarium heater to evaporate warm water. Nothing is dying, but not really growing yet. I was under the impression that the Co2 in the air was good enough for good growth. I would think you would need compressed gas to really raise the levels. Also, does the condensation that builds up block out a lot of the light?
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 10:42 PM

Hmm... Why bother increasing the CO2 levels? Most bog plants grow like weeds without the addition.

** WARNING ** Not written by someone who knows much botony (or chemistry)

Even if CO2 is increased, is it gauranteed that the plants will be able to use the CO2 at a faster rate? Isn't it easier for plants to obtain CO2 in air (less of those bulky hydrogen-bonding water molecules in the way)? I mean, I would think that plants have "evolved" to make the most efficient use of natural CO2 levels. Could someone explain this to me?

^iMp^
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 11:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurp
I intend to use some internal circulation to keep the CO2 off the ground. The CO2 will be air bound.
ROLF! Haha, I gotta laugh everytime I see this, and all to often. I really get irked too by comments like this.

I have no clue where this myth developed that gasses settle according to there weights. Simply...THEY DONT! :shock: If that where the case we would all be dead becuase heavier gasses than O2 would be down here closer to Earth and we would all suffocate! Gasses defy gravity; they have got an enormous amount of kenetic energy, (motion) and collide and mix like crazy with all the other gasses.

And anyway, increasing the [CO2] of the air, first doesn't seem possible by practical household standards, and second is totally unecessary. The plants have been living in this same air with the same [CO2] for thousands of years.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 12:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Depends on what you want to do. Like Gareth said CO2 injection is all the rage among people who grow certain botanicals right now.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 12:53 AM Thread Starter

WOW, thanks for the replys...

Yes, this will be a closed system. That is why I wanted internal circulation, I thought I said that... but I must have only been thinking it! LOL

I was reading an article that stagnant tanks tend to have greater concentrations of gasses settle on the bottom, killing smaller life. CO2 was one of the gasses mentioned. I was not sure what concentrations of CO2 would be generated or needed. Here is an interesting article that was on the page... Although extreme...

http://vulcan.wr.usgs.gov/Glossary/L...s_release.html

The gasses killed 1700 people, and all life within a few miles radius, because the gas was heavy and spilled across the land... (But the concentration was the issue, which was also my concern.)

IMP, I love that warning you gave... I should make something like that in my profile!
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 05:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I have aways been under the impression that landbound plants have access to more light, therefore uses more CO2 and have access to more nutrients than underwater (concider normal fertiliser NPK rates to aquatic plant fertiliser).

I too have to us IMPs Warning.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-30-2004, 03:16 PM
Algae Grower

Well, as mentioned above, growers or "certain botanicals" use CO2 for land plants, so I suspect that it must work.

I believe the CO2 will displace oxygen in air unlike in water, so if you have critters in there you could suffocate them.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-30-2004, 05:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanConnor
Well, as mentioned above, growers or "certain botanicals" use CO2 for land plants, so I suspect that it must work.

I believe the CO2 will displace oxygen in air unlike in water, so if you have critters in there you could suffocate them.
Nope. If that was the case then when you went down in the basement of a house you would be dead. People get the idea that CO2 sinks in the air column because they have seen Dry Ice subsume and see the vapor sink. Well if you have every played with liquid nitrogen, it does the same thing. It sinks because it's cold.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-30-2004, 05:17 PM

I've read some studies (can't remember where or when) that at test plants (can't remember which) in greenhouses displayed increased growth rates when CO2 was increased. All I do know was that the studies were in a peer-reviewed scientific journal.

Regarding the CO2 settling issue, I believe that the temperature fluctuations in your house/tank/container would keep the gasses mixed. I think that the examples that we have heard of were of large concentrations of gasses at temperatures very different from the surrounding air, causing them to sink, until they warmed up.

The only think I might worry about is that if the system is closed, you might want to keep an eye on any non-photosynthesizing critters in there. If you have none, then don't worry. If you do, how much do you value them? If they are vertibrates, or complex invertibrates, I'd watch for signs of stress. But I think this is a cool home experiment!

-Laura
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-30-2004, 06:14 PM
Planted Tank VIP

Here you go... This should answer many questions.

http://www.gchydro.com/faq_env_con.asp#whyadd

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode