How Many Quarts?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
How Many Quarts??

I was at OSH the other day and decided to check out their gravels and sand. Well they had Horticulture Sand. It was great texture and coloring and would be perfect for my tank as far as looks. The problem is they only have 1 Quart bags. I dont want to buy to less and have to go back and I dont want to buy too many and waste money. My question is, how many of these 1 quart bags sould I get for my 10g? I want at least a 2" deep substrate. I did a search on Google, "Converting Pounds to Quarts", but nothing useful comes up.

Thanks,
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 01:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
You can't convert from a Imperial Volume measurement to a Imperial Weight measurement without knowing the density of the material.

In fact you can't do it in the Metric system either.

A quart of mercury will weigh a LOT more than a quart of water.

Take the bag to the clerk and ask them if they can weigh it.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Grigg View Post
You can't convert from a Imperial Volume measurement to a Imperial Weight measurement without knowing the density of the material.

In fact you can't do it in the Metric system either.

A quart of mercury will weigh a LOT more than a quart of water.

Take the bag to the clerk and ask them if they can weigh it.
Okay. Thanks for the quick response.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 01:43 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
10 gallon tank

About 9-10 quarts should cover you with a little to spare for tha Nano you've always wanted to start. hint hint... It never hurts to have just a little extra to go around...

Doug
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Okay. I am also going to ask just to make sure. How did you figure that out Doug? Just for future reference of course!

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James From Cali View Post
Okay. I am also going to ask just to make sure. How did you figure that out Doug? Just for future reference of course!
Simple math

10 gallon tank holds approximately 8 gallons after 2" of gravel is in place.
thats 2 gallons of water volume roughly for gravel to water displacement.

4 quarts equals 1 gallon and typically sand is a little denser than gravel so I added and extra 2 quarts to make it even off at 9-10.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 12:56 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (21/100%)
"a pint's a pound", so you can guestimate; it's not rocket science.

Mark

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 03:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredyk View Post
"a pint's a pound", so you can guestimate; it's not rocket science.
See my first reply. That may hold true for water but I do believe that sand is a bit denser than water.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Grigg View Post
See my first reply. That may hold true for water but I do believe that sand is a bit denser than water.
Yeah thats the problem with your solution FredyK. Two different substances means two different weights.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 03:20 PM

OK I've found a calc though I do not know if it works for all substances. You can give it a try with a known substance to see.

http://www.banksaviation.com/convert.html#PG

Actually has several calcs in one so be sure to pick the right one.

Doug
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks fr the link. It actually helped quite alot!

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 03:50 PM

One is glad to be of service!

doug
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 04:02 PM

PTrader: (5/100%)
Wow hold on everyone. No need to guestimate or use rocket science, or even a conversion website.

Hasnt anyone here done elementary geometry? Your filling a volume. Your substance is already measured in volume. All you have to do is simple conversion to get an exact amount. Measure your tank length and width and multiply by the depth you want the substrate, and then just convert cubic inches to quarts. Its a snap when they actually measure stuff in volume, and not pounds.

A standard 10G I beleive is 10"x20". Thats usually the outside dimensions, if you want a precise calculation then measure the open area inside the tank instead.

For 2" bed, type this into google:

"convert 10 x 20 x 2 cu in to quarts"

or here, I did it for you just for reference: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search

Remember this is an exact calculation. If you buy that exact quantity and everything was measured perfectly than you'll be good. But incase things werent measured perfectly you should get some extra (always a good idea anyhow).

Its realy simple, and you dont even need to use elementary math, just let google do all the math and convert the units. LxWxH = Volume (in cubic inches). convert cu in into quarts (for your case) or liters (for something like ADA Aqua Soil). The hard part is when its not labeled in volume but pounds. Then use the susbtrate calc at top of screen it will handle the more common options.

Google will do every conversion I have ever needed to do, so you dont even have to bookmark a converions site or download any utility. You dont even have to go to google if you have a google search thingy on your web browser searchbar. You can even type it in a few different ways and google figures out what your trying to do, for the most part. To see the great features and instructions on how do use googls calculator look at http://www.google.com/help/calculator.html
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 04:13 PM

Being unaware that google does math has probably kept me from becoming the president of the US huh!

Seriously though... I haven't done Volume for nearly 30 years with all the calcs around...

The reason for volume to lbs is most gravel weighs a certain amount written on the package. This method I mentioned allow people who have the pounds of "ANY" gravel type substance to simply translate to volume and then they'll know how many bags, quarts, or other packaging they need to get to fill a certain amount of space.

Your method works also.

Doug
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 05:49 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
~8 bags

I didn't use any math...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode