Maintenence shedule for a FILSTAR XP2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Just curious how and when any of you Filstar cannister owners do for cleaning and maintenence. I have one on my 55g, but all of the paperwork that came with it was mistakenly lost. I currently have in it From bottom to top) the 4 pads of foam (2 course & 2 finer), biostars, phosphate pad and the micro filter pad. Wiht the exception of an ongoing green water battle, the tank parameters look good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 12:31 AM
2la

I do maintenance probably once every three months or so, give or take. Monitor the filter outflow. If it's slowing, or you just can't get your plants to grow the way they use to, a filter cleaning is a good idea.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 01:58 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
They recommend a monthly cleaning, but as 2la mentioned, it really depends. I used to clean my XP3 WEEKLY because it just didn't keep up with the 100 gal tank, and I wanted to keep the flow as high as possible. Now I got a second one, and went to monthly or so foam pad cleanings.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 02:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
I dont own a filstar but it also depends on your water condition for the past whatever, if tank is maintained and water keep clean you wouldn't have to do filter maintenance for 6 months or so.
but if you have green water I would schedule a filter cleaning soon.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 08:02 PM

I find keeping the intake clean of plant debris is the most frequent maintenance on a canister filter. The documentation on the XP3 suggests monthly cleanings.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks all for yuor input. I have been having to rinse out the pads at least weekly due to the green water and the coagulant I have been using to control it. Unfortunatly, i think I have been cleaning too frequently and loosing bacteria. I'm going to try to stick to montly at a maximum, other than cleaning off the intake of obvious debris. As far as the green water goes I'm going to break down sooner or later and buy a diatom filter.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode