LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to pairustwo
Fertilizer pre-mix problems.

So I bought PMDD Pre-Mix from here:
http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/st...cplantfood.php
For some reason I thought I would get individual packages of CSM+B and KNO3 and K2SO4 and MgSO4 for me to mix as I saw fit. Which is dumb because it is called pre mix.
Or maybe I thought that it would come pre mixed in ratios that would reflect the EI method or other recipes that I see around. They all seem to have much more Potassium Nitrate than the other Macros.

This mix says on the label:
Sears Conlin PMDD Formula
1tbl Plantex CSM
1tbl MgSO4+7HO2
1tbl K2SO4
1tbl KNO3

I don't know why a 1lb bag has 4tbs listed as the ingredients except if they mean 1Part of each of those things.

If they do I'm wondering how to dose this stuff.
Completely guessing I dissolved a teaspoon into 100ml and poured a third of it into a 20 gallon tank every other day for six days.
I immediately got an outbreak of BBA. I don't know if it was a coincidence or not but it sorta sucked. Throughout this time my NO3 remained at 0ppm where it has been since I started with the 3.25 WPG.

I've been looking everywhere for stump remover or Potassium Nitrate. I found it in blood meal or bat guano but they are not soluble.

I have a 20 gallon tank
65w of good spectrum light
DIY CO2- 6 bubbles per minute I don't know if I can trust my pH reading (KHd 3 pH 6.9) so I don't know exactly how many ppm, maybe 11

If I was willing to do the EI method (willing to do the water changes) how much should I add to the tank?

If I dry dose one teaspoon of the stuff that is pretty close to Rex's recommended 1/4, 1/4, 1/4 (leaving 1/4 for the plantex) for dry dosing.

Dose anyone think I need separate, extera KNO3 added.

Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 06:48 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pairustwo View Post
So I bought PMDD Pre-Mix from here:
http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/st...cplantfood.php
For some reason I thought I would get individual packages of CSM+B and KNO3 and K2SO4 and MgSO4 for me to mix as I saw fit. Which is dumb because it is called pre mix.
Or maybe I thought that it would come pre mixed in ratios that would reflect the EI method or other recipes that I see around. They all seem to have much more Potassium Nitrate than the other Macros.

This mix says on the label:
Sears Conlin PMDD Formula
1tbl Plantex CSM
1tbl MgSO4+7HO2
1tbl K2SO4
1tbl KNO3

I don't know why a 1lb bag has 4tbs listed as the ingredients except if they mean 1Part of each of those things.

If they do I'm wondering how to dose this stuff.
Completely guessing I dissolved a teaspoon into 100ml and poured a third of it into a 20 gallon tank every other day for six days.
I immediately got an outbreak of BBA. I don't know if it was a coincidence or not but it sorta sucked. Throughout this time my NO3 remained at 0ppm where it has been since I started with the 3.25 WPG.

I've been looking everywhere for stump remover or Potassium Nitrate. I found it in blood meal or bat guano but they are not soluble.

I have a 20 gallon tank
65w of good spectrum light
DIY CO2- 6 bubbles per minute I don't know if I can trust my pH reading (KHd 3 pH 6.9) so I don't know exactly how many ppm, maybe 11

If I was willing to do the EI method (willing to do the water changes) how much should I add to the tank?

If I dry dose one teaspoon of the stuff that is pretty close to Rex's recommended 1/4, 1/4, 1/4 (leaving 1/4 for the plantex) for dry dosing.

Dose anyone think I need separate, extera KNO3 added.

Any advice?
Not sure about your dosing issue, other than you will probably need to supplement the PMDD with additional nitrates, but you need a LOT more CO2 in the tank, along the lines of like 30+ bpm, depending on surface agitation, diffusion method, etc. I have 30bpm in a 10g tank to maintain about 30 ppm CO2, running through a glass diffuser into the intake of a HOB filter with little disturbance. The low CO2 is causing your BBA.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 12:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
The PMDD pre-mix is intended to be dosed based on the Sears & Conlin paper. The suggested PMDD dose for a 29 gallon aquarium is 0.25 ml a day. You dosed 100X that.

You have learned a lesson. First you assumed and got the wrong product. Then you did not research the product you got and ran into problems.

I would not even waste my time looking for Stump Remover. Just get some KNO3.

Also NEVER trust your Nitrate test kit unless you have tested it. And even then suspect it.

If you want some ferts then check out www.bestaquariumregulator.com

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
First you assumed and got the wrong product. Then you did not research the product you got and ran into problems.
No doubt about that. I'm feeling like I might want to toss this and start fresh with individual fertilizers.
On the other hand there must be some practical application of the PMDD Pre-mix...
Quote:
The suggested PMDD dose for a 29 gallon aquarium is 0.25 ml a day.
Rex, what is the concentration of that .25 ml solution? And why is the NO3 so low in this mix compared to others. Should I supliment just NO3 to the PMDD mix?

Thanks
pairustwo

Last edited by pairustwo; 05-05-2007 at 05:23 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 07:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (208/100%)
Bump your CO2 for starters. My 20g with only 2.5wpg gets 1BPS (60BPMs). I run two 2 liters connected together and stagger refills every two weeks.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 01:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
You could supplement KNO3 to the pre-mix and just basically use the pre-mix as traces.

With your mix I would say each ml adds 0.11 ppm of nitrate.

PMDD was not designed to maximize plant growth. It was meant to inhibit algae growth.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Rex, can you resolve:
Quote:
The suggested PMDD dose for a 29 gallon aquarium is 0.25 ml a day. You dosed 100X that.
- I had added 1/3 of tsp dissolved in 33ml every other day.
and
Quote:
With your mix I would say each ml adds 0.11 ppm of nitrate.
Or alternately can anyone point me to what sort of solution I would create out of this PMDD pre mix. I really can't find anything about this mix.

How many oz of mix in how many oz of water dosed how often? or how many oz dry dosed would work also.

thanks, I know that dosing questions are classic newb and elicit eye rolling. I have read several dosing suggestions but this pre mix is got me confused.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode