ADA AS+ PSS
130w 6,700k @ 6 hours
+ 75w T5 @ 4 hours
Pressurized C02 @ 30~ ppm

Glossotigma
Blyxa
Cyperfus Helferi
Aromatica

For the past month I have been dosing 5 squirts ADA LIGHTS, and 5 squirts ADA Step 2, alternating daily Sunday-Friday.

33% water changes using 90% RO water and 10% tap.

I've been getting various outbreaks of thread algae which prefers the slower growing Cyperus Helferi and some parts of my glossotigma.

I have a feeling it is due to fertilizer imbalance, and would like to know if I should cut down on the dosing or increase.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-04-2007, 02:03 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (46/100%)
i can't really comment on the dosing, but if you're getting hair, thread, string, staghorn, bba or whatever, you should up the co2. i'm pretty sure that will help.

"Some of the worst things imaginable have been done with the best intentions." - Jurassic Park

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-04-2007, 03:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Ok. So you are squirting magic water into your tank. But exactly what are you adding with those squirts?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-04-2007, 05:12 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (2/100%)
LIGHTS contains the essential macros and Step 2 contains Micros and a small amount of Iron.

I dose them on alternating days three times a week as if I were dosing EI method.

And it is Thread Algae, not hair, beard, etc.

In the past I have rid other tanks of it by upping the C02 and lowering length of my photo period, but for this I was curious to see if it could be related to dosing too much ferts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-04-2007, 06:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
It's not the liquid ADA ferts that are causing that.
It's the soil and lack of more frequent and larger % water changes.
CO2 is also playing some role as well.

Is this a new tank also?
If so, you should be doing at least 50% weekly as a matter of routine, ADA suggest this as well as I myself and the EI as a starting point.

ADA suggest, as do I , Jeff, Oliver and others, 2-3x a week water changes in the intitial 1-2 month stages and anytime there's an algae outbreak.

Algae does not go away without some effort, and it's not a subtle thing, only lucky folks have that occur. It does rarely happen, but is often not repeatable.

It takes a lot more work to stabilize a system typically and restore it to the original state.

Typically, water changes, reduced lighting(use the T5's for a week only etc), and add a bit more CO2. Go in and aggressively attack and manually remove the algae. Add some Zeolite/Purigen, Activated carbon etc.
Trim, clean etc first......then do the water change. Do water changes in the morning right before the lights come on or an hour after they do etc.

Excel additions can help the left over algae issues.

IME, you are not adding enough CO2 and ferts.
This is based on the algae itself, my own lack of dosing using their routines.

Algae makes a far better indicator of system health issues than anyone's "guessing". Algae are quite predictable. We can induce them and do so again and again several times on the same tank and eradicate them.
This shows clearly that they are useful for identification of issues.

I know it cannot be due to excess ferts by using the counter to any hypothesis that makes the claim: "excess ferts = algae". NH4 is the one exception that I have found to date.

But few add that initionally

Watch the CO2 good.
By this, I mean the day cycle. See how long it takes to get 30ppm from the time the lights come till the end of the day. Measure a few times the 1st 0-2 hours, then at the last 2 hour time frame.

It should not take more than 45-60 minutes to knock the pH down and get 20-30ppm ideally.

Especially with relatively low light.

I'd suggest you use 2x 39 watt in place of the 130 watt PC lighting.

4x39 T5's are more than you'd ever need. I'd suggest using 2x39w for 10 hours, and a midday burst of the other 2x39 w for 3 hours only.

T5's and PC are very powerful on a tank this size.
They drive CO2 and nutrient uptake really fast.

Back off light and go after algae.
I'll publish the ADA fert contents a bit later this summer.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (2/100%)
Thanks Tom. =]

The tank is about 4 months old and until very recently I was performing regular 50% W/c, but wanted to see the effects of lowering that to around 33%.

The thread algae is very very minimal. . . bad choice of words in my first post. There little enough of it for most people who glance at the tank would not notice, but fellow planted tanker's would see it here and there. I'll cut down on the lighting for sure and watch those C02 levels, as well as increase the size of W/c's.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode