2 Foot Cube - Plexi or Glass - need your input - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2004, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
I am in the process of getting all the parts together for a 2 foot cube tank. This tank will use pressurized CO2, high fertilization, MH pendant lighting (either a 175 or 250 W), Flourite, with a DIY CO2 reactor hooked up to an XP3.

After not being able to track down an Oceanic cube in Vancouver, I am looking at custom made. I have priced out a glass tank at 275 Canadian, built locally, and a plexi tank for 275 as well.

Based on the price, what would you do? It seems a no brainer to me to go with plexi, and the only draw back seems to be the ease of scratching the plexi, but is there more?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2004, 11:40 PM

There might be another downside to the plexiglass tank. Depending on the thickness of the plexiglass when you fill it up it will try to bow or flex. This is normal in most plexiglass tanks. Personally I have a plexiglass 40 gallon breeder and the front bows out a little. This can be good or bad depending on your taste. Also, if the plexiglass on the tank is thick then the "bowing" on the tank will most likely be minimized. The plexiglass does this because its not as rigid as glass. Hope this helps your decision.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2004, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Well, there are two options with this as well. First option is to go with thinner materials and a top lip to add strength. The lip would be between 1 and 2 inches wide. The second option is to go with thicker material and not have a lip. I have seen a tank like that and it looks spectacular. There would be a cost increase, but imagine a tank that simply ends on the top side.

Ptahkeem, does your 40 g have a ledge around the top?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by putty
First option is to go with thinner materials and a top lip to add strength. The lip would be between 1 and 2 inches wide.
Actually my tank has a flat piece of plexiglass that covers the entire top portion with cutouts for my filter, heater, and access to the tank. The fact that the top has a ledge doesnt really change the fact that the acrylic will bow out. I dont think you can eliminate the bowing out of the material unless you go with a really thick plexiglass for the sides of the tank. Even then it will bow out but it wont be as noticeable.
Quote:
The second option is to go with thicker material and not have a lip. I have seen a tank like that and it looks spectacular. There would be a cost increase, but imagine a tank that simply ends on the top side.
Im gonna say go with adding a top section and live with the slight bowing. I think the reason that most production acrylic tanks have upper sections on them is due to the fact that they use relatively thin plexiglass. The top section helps keep this thin section from falling apart.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 02:10 AM

Has any-one had any problems with the dioxins that get released from acrylic tanks? UV, CO2, and heat cause the plastic to release dioxins which are deadly... But no site ever says how deadly or how quick they get released, or what exposure levels of UV, CO2, or heat are needed to release this toxic chemical. They say that the effects are death, sexual sterility, cancerous growth, and nerve damage.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 02:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Zurp do you worry about rocks from space killing you?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 03:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
lol
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 04:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Grigg
Zurp do you worry about rocks from space killing you?
Bwahahahahahaha.

Rocks from space...ahhhh. Hope they don't hit my tank. Maybe I better go with the acrylic.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 04:22 AM

PTrader: (1/100%)
I would go glass EASY TO CLEAN and LOOKS BETTER
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

I am hearing horror stories about scratching on the acrylic, as well as the top of the tank tarnishing wiht exposure to intense lighting. Seems pointless to have a locomotive headlamp on this tank, if the top of the tank is going to stop most of the light from entering the tank.

Just priced out another glass cube...this one without any plastic rims on the top an bottom, it may be the way to go.

I am so confused right now. The only thing I still know, is that I want a cube.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode