Library Project - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (95/100%)
Library Project

Some one suggested that I start a journal on my project that I have undertaken. I am fundraising to put a 55gallon Aquarium-planted of course and a 29 gal paludarium in the city library. I am doing all of this free of charge and on my own time. So far I have raised about $500 dollars and the $55 gallon is on layaway at the fish store-the 29 is being ordered today.

The paludarium goes in on June 25th and I am doing a special learning project for the kids as it gets set up.
The aquarium goes in the middle of August -once again the kids get to help.

I am hoping that my fellow planted tanker will chime in with plenty of advice.

The majority of plants I hope to buy here. Looking Low teck 2 wpg hopefully pressurized.
I'll post more when I have news
Cindy

Cynthia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 05:32 AM

PTrader: (50/100%)
How about posting a list of some equipment you need that most of us probably have laying around as extras? I would be happy to donate stuff I have laying around since it's for such a good cause. Those little things like tubing, fittings, filter media, etc, can really add up to some $$ and I would guess 90% of us have some laying around.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'll make a list - plus it's a tax deduction-I can mail reciepts

Cynthia

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

double post

Cynthia

Last edited by tundragirl; 05-04-2007 at 03:04 AM.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

ok for the terrarium we need a 24" reptile slider light, 29 gal screen top,thermometer/hygrometer, habba mist, cricket keeper, cricket quencher. aquatic plants: narrow leaf java fern, crypts ( lucens & albida)
echinodorus, tenellus.
aquarium : 300 w heater, 48" light 96 -130w prefered, auto fish feeder, 2 timers, theremometer, co2 regulator & canister, canister filter, media. co2 tubing, fish food, nets, python.
plants undecided yet.

let me know if you have any of these for sale. these are all the things I haven't purchased yet.

Cynthia
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-04-2007, 12:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
I have a heater sitting around, it was on at 45g tank that I got, I'll have to check what the wattage is but I'm pretty sure it's large enough.

If so All I need is the price for shipping

Also for Crix don't bother with an expensive 'cricket keeper' just get a small plastic terrarium thing similar but much cheaper Crix will smell though so be warned. I'm glad those days are over...

Also you need any heat pads? I think i have a few around if so... What's going into the viv?

-Andrew
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-04-2007, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

There will be anoles for sure -don't know about treefrogs yet. I also bought some pilea and ferns. Going to the green house again next weekend.
let me know about the heater and how much you need for shipping.
Thanks Andrew

Cynthia
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hey everyone i need some good book suggestions for the adult library. planted of course. I know I wante to get Takashi Amano's books but other that that no clue. Tell me what your favorite book is.

Cynthia
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 02:40 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Gotta say that TundraGirl has earned a top rank in both mine, and my 8 y.o. son's eyes! She really took care of him with regard to RCS. Nothing short of total dedication!!!!

That being said, I have a 3rd grader who is making a priority of hitting the local library to see if he can ID some books that he finds interesting for some of your younger enthusiasts of this project.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 03:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks Owenstubbs- I want some younger and older view points. Our Library has NADA. and I want to change that. I think I want to add Diana Walstads
Ecology of the Planted Aquarium. Any opinions on this one?

Cynthia
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 04:18 AM
Algae Grower

Perhaps you could contact that author and get her to contribute a copy or 2 to you local library????? I just think your project is awesome. You know I have little, if anything, to contribute.... but I sincerely hope the generous members of this site will help you bring this very worthwhile project to completion. In fact, perhaps when you have completed it, you can help others here, including me, copy your efforts and make similar contributions to other public causes. I was even thinking that perhaps elderly facilities would be a good choice (ie, nursing homes). I have personal reaons for thinking this.
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 04:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
I am all for what your doing. I think its great. Its a superb way to get kids to learn about the ecosytem. I only wish I had something to contribute. I wish you the best of luck with this. You have, if at the least, motivated me to talk to my local library and see what I can do as far as something like this. There are a few nursing homes and a preschool/daycare around here so I will see what they say. Once again Good Luck TundraGirl!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 05:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

This whole thing started because of a book I requested from another library. While I was checking out the lady manning the desk said Isure wish we could have one of these down here. I asked her why they couldn't? She said because noone knows enought about it to even start. That's when I volunteered myself. The library had very little money for the project so I am Visiting local businesses in my spare time to get donations.

They had a pathetic number of very outdated books that weren't very helpful or at all interesting

Cynthia
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 12:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Wingsdlc
Pretty good book.
Encyclopedia of Aquarium Plants by Peter Hiscock.

5.65WPG, EI dosing

4WPG, EI dosing

April 2008

post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 01:26 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundragirl View Post
The library had very little money for the project so I am Visiting local businesses in my spare time to get donations.
Go to the largest bank in town and speak with the manager. Where I live, banks are often the largest sponsor of municipal activities.

How about an empty aquarium at the library with some kind of cash donation box attached to it?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode